Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Moving from Yacht to Unlimited
Todd
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:20 PM

I've been hearing alot recently about the MCA now opening up a route for Yachties to move sideways into the commercial unlimited OOW, recognising yacht sea time (days at sea) for this. Looking around online and its as clear as mud, apparently a MGN is coming out soon. Has anyone had any experience so far with this or any more info such as specific requirments? Cheers
Yacht_Expedition
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:42 PM

From what I've read, the MCA are doing a similar route as the USCG. The Master Yachts 3000 can qualify to sit for the OOW Unlimited. Upon successfully completing that exam, you progress through the ranks of the merchant navy system...training, sea time, ships, etc. I supposed that you could gain that sea time on yachts over 3000 GT, but I don't know of many captains that would start at the bottom again. There was a rumor of a direct crossover from Master Yachts 3000 to Master Unlimited, but that is just absurd. The training and minimum sea time are too much.
MarineDex
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:29 PM

I heard something that once you pass your OOW that you could the start a process which include 6months at school that would lead to a Master 500 unlimited. It also required you to start a another training record book for cargo loading and accumulate commercial sea time before you sit the oral exam. I'm still investigate for my own personal situation so I'll report back when I know more.

Todd
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 2:44 AM

To be a little more specific, the MCA calls it the "Smothing the Way" program to help people from the different maritime sectors move around within the industry, fishing to commercial , yacht to commercial ect ect. I've heard Warsash runs a 6 month course for this. From what i can gather they will accept your seatime as a licensed watchkeeper (OOW, Chief Mate, Master 3000) on large yachts. I'm just struggling to find out the specific requirements and info for this. Has anyone done this yet?
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 12:05 PM
If you've heard that Warsash is offering the course, then contact Warsash.

DaveRobson
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:44 AM

I've been in contact with Warsash in relation to this, Engineering routes specifically. What's changed is that the MCA will now accept sea time aboard commercially registered yachts as being commercial sea time. Anyone with yacht sea time can now apply to the MCA for a Letter of Initial Assessment at which point they will document what else needs to be done. This will almost certainly include completing a MNTRB during some more sea time, and then completing about 6 months at college (I have only heard Warsash mentioned so far but doubtless other colleges will be involved) or by correspondence, eventually allowing you to sit the OOW unlimited oral. Basically you'll be doing the classroom training of a cadet, without having to go to sea with a cadetship. As I understand it from here you would then continue up the merchant scale as normal after OOW/EOOW, but how far you'll be able to get solely with yacht sea time I'm unsure of, I wouldnt expect to be able to get a Master or Chief Engineer unlimited with only yacht time, but they are now offering the entry route. Get in touch with Warsash for more details.
Todd
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 9:49 AM

Thanks for the info, just what I was looking for, will chase them up on this. Cheers

Average 3 out of 5
]