Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
STCW 95 Expiry
Sean-H
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:06 PM

I did STCW basic safety now 6 years ago, but have only been at sea a few months since then. I believe STCW 95 is valid for 5 years. Will I now need to re-do the entire program, or is there some kind of re-fresher course, in the South of  France? But once you have STCW, is such a thing kept valid by staying at sea? Such certifications expiring I can accept, but can you believe that there is a 6 month expiry date imposed, by Belgium, on a South African birth certificate? Marriage certificate I can understand, but could it could be possible that I was born somewhere else in the last 6 months…..go figure. At least I got all that sorted out, eventually.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2013 3:59 PM
Do you have a CoC that you revalidate? When I send in my sea time I get issued a new CoC which is to the standards of watch keeping and training 1995. I need 1 year sea service every 5 years to stay valid so I guess it's the same for the basic safety courses???
Bob_6
Posted: Saturday, March 2, 2013 9:21 AM

The Belgians must have caught the silly idea from the French, that birth certificates have an expiry date. The French require a birth certificate less than 3 months old, which means you have to write back home for another original, and shell out 40 quid. I would have thought that a crumbling old certificate, yellowing with age, was less likely to be a forgery than one just off the printing press, but don't go looking for logic or common sense in the French bureaucracy.
Sean-H
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:09 PM

Belgium can also thank the French for the AZERTY keyboard…..I live in Flanders, the Dutch speaking half of Belgium, yet the whole country uses the AZERTY, yet just over the boarder, in Dutch speaking Holland, they use the normal QWERTY keyboard…..go figure….

So my wife and I decided to order our QWERTY laptop online…..

ratpack
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 6:38 PM

2.3 Updating-Refresher Training Requirements

The 2010 Manila Amendments to the STCW Code bring in new requirements for seafarers required to hold any of the following safety training courses:

•  Personal Survival Techniques (STCW Table A-VI/1-1)

•  Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (STCW Table A-VI/1-2)

•  Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats Other Than Fast Rescue Boats (STCW Table A-VI/2-1)

•  Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boats (STCW Table A-VI/2-2)

•  Advanced Fire Fighting (STCW Table A-VI/3)

Seafarers required to hold any of the above certificates of proficiency shall, every five years, provide evidence of having maintained the required standard of competence, to undertake the tasks, duties and responsibilities specified in the above stated tables.

Seafarers revalidating their Certificates of Competency (CoC) after 1 January 2017 will be required to submit documentary evidence of having completed MCA approved updating-refresher training.  There is no requirement to provide documentary evidence for having completed updating-refresher training if a seafarer applies for CoC revalidation before 1 January 2017.

From 1 January 2017 Port State Control Officers may require seafarers to provide documentary evidence of having maintained the required standard of competence, to undertake the tasks, duties and responsibilities listed above.

Presenting the documentary evidence obtained on completing an MCA approved updating-refresher course will meet this requirement.

Details of updating-refresher training will be published in a separate Marine Information Notice.

Zenith
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 7:23 AM

Presently, STCW Basic Training does not expire and there is no seatime requirement to revalidate them. However, if your refer to the post above by ‘ratpack’ you will understand that according to new regulation called the ‘STCW 2010 Manila Amendments’ that as of 1st January 2017 the STCW qualifications will only be valid for 5 years, and personnel required to hold them will need to renew them. This isn’t limited to just the people with a CoC.  

JohnSail
Posted: Saturday, June 1, 2013 8:44 AM

I have just gone through this process my self while doing my OOW course, I had to provide a "current" STCW95

SO by definition CURRENT is = obtained within the last 5 years. THERE FOR your stcw is NOT CURRENT if it has not been refreshed or obtained in the past 5 years or is older than 5 years, the STCW 95 it self does not expire, BUT you are required to keep it current.

I got lucky by booking my advanced STCW courses such as medical at sea and advanced fire fighting before it expired and even though I did those above mentioned courses after my BASIC STCW 95 had expired, because they could not accommodate me for the dates I wanted before they expired I was able to get an extension provided I had a booking to prove that I was going to do the refresher or the advanced courses.

so you are at 6 years and my understanding is that you will have to do the course again and can not take part in the refresher because your STCW 95 is NOT CURRENT.

I hope this helps!

Average 4 out of 5
]