Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
MCA OOW (unlimited) .vs. USCG third mate unlimted and up to Master unlimited
pods
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 1:27 PM

I keep seeing job post looking for OOW unlimited for vessel posted as 100 M plus 

"2nd Officer needed for 100m Motor Yacht. Must have a OOW Unlimited ticket." 

I'm not looking to start the "unlimited" term on the license debate again here, but are they looking for this new MCA scheme to let there yacht guys cross over to unlimited system. What would be the equivalent USCG license a third mate or chief mate unlimited? 

obi-1
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:48 PM

pods wrote:

"...are they looking for this new MCA scheme to let there yacht guys cross over to unlimited system."

Not sure I understand the meaning of this sentence. If they are advertising for an (MCA) OOW unlimited, then it's likely that the yacht is registered under a Red ensign (UK). I'm sure that an equivalent STCW CoC can be endorsed by that flag state. e.g Cayman Islands ask that all officers verify their CoC by application and are given an endorsement paper from them (Cayman Island Shipping).

Darien
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 1:59 AM

This will not completely answer you question, but hopefully you will find it to be useful information.

In one country, outside the U.S., I had an official point out to me a blurb printed on my Merchant Mariner's Credential.

"This document is a seafarers' identity document for the purpose of the Seafarers' Identity Documents Convention (Revised), 2003, of the International Labor Organization."

The official informed me that this was all that was required for my credential to reciprocate with his country.  Therefore, as long as my credential along with its endorsements covered the vessel I was operating.  I was covered.  The point I'm trying to make is that many credentials are considered legal operators licenses internationally.  However, I have noticed that some yacht owners and agents seem to advertise the credential with which they are most familiar.  On rarer occasions, I think they are looking for specific credentials issued by specific countries.  When they are, the reason for the specifics could have to do with visas and passports preferred and accompanying the credential.

Making my way back to the question; In the U.S. a Third Mate license only exists among the unlimited ranks and they are generally qualified OOW.  In fact always as far as I know.

If I understand your final question;  "What would be the equivalent USCG license a third mate or chief mate unlimited?"   I believe I can answer this.  The USCG unlimited deck licenses are Third Mate, Second Mate, First Mate, Chief Mate, and Master Unlimited.  If the post is only looking for an OOW unlimited, I think that any of the above would be legal to fill that capacity.  "Second officer needed for a 100M yacht" could be another situation altogether.  A qualified OOW often holds a lower license than required for the master.  100M vessels are relatively large especially in the yacht world.  The USCG is interested in tonnage.  I am familiar with U.S. laws concerning qualified watch standers and the quantity of watch standers required to be on board for certain operations exceeding certain periods of time.  However, I am not sufficiently competent to answer exactly what this post is requiring.  A qualified OOW can hold a license considerably lower than the required license for the Master.  No revelation here Im sure. 

International Yacht Bureau
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 2:42 AM

MCA OOW Unlimited (STCW (II/1) is a USCG Unlimited Third or Second Mate (STCW II/1).  

MCA Chief Mate Unlimited (STCW (II/2) is a USCG Unlimited Chief Mate (STCW (II/2)

MCA Master Unlimited (STCW (II/2) is a USCG Unlimited Master (STCW II/2)

pods
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:40 AM

Thanks IYB, that answered my question. Reference to me saying MCA scheme from yachts to unlimited license. 

http://www.warsashsuperyachtacademy.com/about/brochures/resources/oow-unlimited-flyer.pdf

I see more and more post looking for OOW unlimited and wasn't sure where my USCG second mate "with a 6,000GT limitation"  came into the MCA unlimited system. I wouldn't mind to work on my Second Mate to finish up some sea time for Chief Mate and test for Master Unlimited, where currently I just work on my USCG 1600GRT/3000GT . 

Thanks, 

Mike Sanderson
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:10 AM

For commercial yachts, you always need a CEC from the flag state. Refer to MGN 221 to find out how to get an MCA CEC from a USCG certificate.
International Yacht Bureau
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:19 AM

You can raise your 2/m license with a combination of sea time.  USCG requires 360 days total.  180 days of that must be on a vessel over 1600 GT.  The remainder can be on anything over 200 GT.  You can use your time as Master and then grab a 2/m job for the other 6 months.  Good luck!
pods
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 6:44 AM

Thanks IYB, and under STCW10 which for USCG mariners comes into affect for non grandfathered mariners on 24 March 2014, all time most only be over 100 GRT not 200 GRT Making it easier for uscg mariners to rise through the ranks, but still will require 50 % over 1600 GRT or be stuck with a tonnage limitation, like my self.

Thanks IYB your information was helpful.

Average 0 out of 5
]