Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
YM Coastal based around UK
seanis
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 6:41 PM

Hi Guys, I've completed my STCW95, Powerboat Level 2, RYA Diesel & VHF Radio etc, but I'm thinking about moving out to Palma to look for deckhand work 'next' season (Feb/Mar 2015). I have lots of sea miles racing sailing yachts locally, however before I head out to Palma I want to be qualified to Yacht Master Coastal level, as I have heard that this is becoming the standard entry level for Deckhands (Day Skipper doesn't suffice anymore I believe). What I need your help with is which fast track programs are the cheapest based around the UK? The ones I've seen so far are very expensive! Like £2,000 for Dayskipper and £3,000 for YM Coastal (including all of the required sea miles and passages etc). £5,000 seems like a lot - does anyone know any cheaper (but still respectable) companies? Also, would my yacht racing miles count towards the sea miles requirement, as if they do I may not need to pay for the full fast track course? Thanks, Sean
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 4:07 AM

The best way for you is to get your yachtmasters, yes it does cost 5k but u will earn that back in 2 to 3 months

I do advice to go and get your qualifying miles as you will learn a lot from those miles, if you have some serious off shore racing miles i.e. Fastnet u can use them, like you i had some serious racing miles but its a lot different 

experience qualifying for your YM then being part of a race crew you will be making a lot of different decisions

as part of your learning experience, 

My Nephew has just completed his YM at Hamble school of yachting and he had a great experience 

and the solent is a great place to do your YM

Average 0 out of 5
]