Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Visible Tattoo on STEW a Make or Break?
NikiY
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 10:27 PM

HI All;

I'm wondering if you think a visible tattoo on a Jr.Stew is a make or break in the industry? I have a pretty big tattoo on my left calf, I'm in the process of removal and it's faded now, but not going as quickly as I'd hoped. It is covered if I wear capri's and I often cover it completely with make up or a tensor. 

Do you think this will be a make or break for starting as an entry level stew or stew/deck?

Thanks for the input.

Nicole

Soaking wet
Posted: Monday, September 1, 2014 6:06 PM

A highly visible tattoo greatly reduces your chances. 

Getting a job today is hard, because there more people than jobs. 

To find an owner that accepts tattoos is probably not that difficult. But finding a crew agent and yacht captain that's specifically looking for tattooed crew is going to be virtually impossible. 

Tattoos are very much like grafitti, because it's personalized artwork, which is displayed in a very public way. And that's exactly why tattoos are inappropriate for yachts. Because your forcing the owner and charter guests to see your personalized artwork in a very private setting.

I'm sure if you had great boobs you would cover them up when serving guests, because it would be inappropriate to flawnt your bosoms. 

What's acceptable and beautiful really depends on the circumstance and setting in which things are shown and the super elite are really not ready for extreme anything. And that's why cookie cutter crew get jobs, because they blend into the background.

Soaking wet
Posted: Monday, September 1, 2014 6:52 PM

What does a stewardess look like?  
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 1:10 PM
No. It may not help but certainly won't prevent you from ever getting employed. I have worked with lots of people with visible tattoos. On your forearm is a bad place as a stew for serving but don't worry too much about it and don't offer up an explanation unless specifically asked about it in interviews.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 9:43 PM
As an owner of three yachts (from 85 feet to 130 feet) unless the tatoo was offensive, I would not refuse to hire the crew member.  However, if I had a choice of equally qualified candidates for the position, I would lean towards the person without the tatoos.

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 9:46 PM
Get on a USA flagged boat, there are no rules regarding anything and honestly, no one really cares.
Mary E
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 2:19 PM

Maybe frustrating in the begining of your job search, but don't give up. Ink is becoming more acceptable in the industry. Most of the time job listings will state "no visible tattoos". I have a great job, and visible tats, Good Luck
NikiY
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 1:23 AM

Thanks so much for all the great responses, please keep them coming.

I am in the process of removing the tattoo, but hopefully it won't have to wait that long. 

It's hopeful to hear from those of you who have hired staff with visible tattoos and those of you who have them and are working in the industry.

Average 0 out of 5
]