Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Experienced Male Stew. New to applying in Florida.
Dayca11
Posted: Monday, September 8, 2014 4:42 AM

i am an eexperienced Stew with all my certifications.  All of my work has been in California and Hawaii.  I am currently living in San Diego.  I would like to get on a yacht in the Caribbean for the upcoming season.  I'm a little overwhelmed beginning the process of job seeking in Florida.  Any advice on getting on a yacht out there would be great.  Thanks.
The Yachtie Glow
Posted: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 2:14 PM

Hi there,

I'm not sure how you got a job in California and Hawaii but I would imagine that it is the same as in Florida.  I know boats are usually much smaller on the West Coast but the procedure would be the same. One difference may be that usually only very large boats (70meter +)  higher male stews so that is probably where you would focus your efforts. 

1. Move to Fort Lauderdale before the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show as this is the busy season.  

2. Stay in a crew house. Here is a list of them: http://www.nauticcrewintl.com/crew-housing.html. Book in advance as now its the busy season and you will have trouble finding affordable, quality crew housing if you don't.  

3. Post your CV on Dockwalk.com and Daywork 123 only a few days before you arrive.  You don't want to get calls from potential employers only to say you're in California. They will most likely dismiss you right away for the next candidate already in town. 

4. Make appointments to meet Crew Agents (google them) in Fort Lauderdale.    

5. Show up at all interviews wearing khaki shorts, a white polo and dock shoes.  You should be cleanly shaven and with a clean hair cut.  My advice is not to have any visible tatooes or piercings.  They will want to imagine you standing in front of the owner or guests so dress accordingly. 

6. Budget to not have work for at least two months so that you will not have to go home or find another job before getting on a yacht. 

7. Get ready to Daywork.  You will most likely find Daywork.  When you do, treat it like an interview and be very professional even if they say it's only for one day of work.  They often don't tell you their real agenda. 

8. My last and final tip is that this industry is small.  Make a good name for yourself from the beginning.  Don't be known as a partier and always be professional and do what you say you will.  

Hope this helps. 

I also write a blog that has some great resources on how to be successful in the industry as well as travel and health tips.  www.angelaorecchio.com 

Angela Orecchio 

The Yachtie Glow 

www.angelaorecchio.com 

Facebook: The Yachtie Glow  

yachtieconcierge
Posted: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 6:46 PM

Plenty of work for experienced yachties in South Florida. If you have a solid resume there are no worries. Take a week holiday over Halloween-1st week in Nov. The boat show is in town. Yachts galore from Nov-Mar. Anyone worth a grain with experience works. Go to Smallwood's and post your resumes in the crew books, register with The Triton and go to a networking event, send resume to local crew agencies and you are working. Looking for some kind of glamorous reality show job stay out there, that's only on TV.
David Lewis
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 8:11 AM

Thanks for the feedback, and no I'm not looking for a reality show job lol.  I've worked in the trenches already I know how it is.

Average 0 out of 5
]