Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Forum


In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Expiring Shengen Visa
Posted: Wednesday, July 6, 2011 11:27 AM
Joined: 06/07/2010
Posts: 60

Hey everyone,

A crew member recently joined my boat and she is on a South African passport which expires late august, we all really like her and want her to stay, but we are a heavy charter boat and need full crew all the time, so it might be a problem if she was not able to stay on the boat coz of visa issues,

so here is my question, does anyone know if she can extend her current shengen visa in a shengen state? if not where is the next best place to get it extended,

also I have heard and read in other posts that if she gets her seaman discharge book, she can be on the boat but not go on shore, which is not a problem.

thank you for your time

Posted: Thursday, July 7, 2011 1:59 PM
I'm a SAFA and although I have the same Type C schengen visa valid for 90 days, my visa expires only after 12 months, the reason for this is that i applied for my visa with boat papers as i had the job before entering EU. I applied for my visa back in RSA and to answer your question it is 100% impossible to extend a schengen visa even if you attempt to do so in your home country, and on top of that the applicant can only apply and be provided a schengen visa from their home country. The seamans book is the answer however as you have stated above, after recieving the book stamping it with the boats stamp and signing off start dates of employment etc. when she leaves to go home and through immigration i believe as many papers as possible is best ie: a contract etc hope this is of help...
Posted: Friday, July 8, 2011 9:34 PM
Joined: 02/06/2010
Posts: 14

Hi John, Firstly, where are you? If you are near Genoa or San Remo you could try talking to Pesto or All Services respectively. It is possible to get a new Schengen Visa via the consulate in Genoa via these agents but it is a costly process and quite complicated. You can only apply for a new visa AFTER your old one has expired and that should be applied for in your country of residence, ie South Africa in this case. By far the best option is to get her a seaman’s discharge book. If you are Cayman Islands Registered this is a simple process, just by contacting CIS in the UK and making an application. I cannot vouch for other flag states. Once she has a Seaman’s discharge book, you will find clearing in and out of countries becomes much easier. There could potentially be a problem when she wants to fly home if she is flying out of a Schengen state as the visa would be expired. You can however apply for a temporary transit visa which allows her to travel from the boat to the airport, if you use agents, ask them for this otherwise the local harbourmaster will be able to point you in the right direction. Hope this helps.
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:13 AM
Joined: 05/09/2009
Posts: 10

Hi Ya As a S African , if your Schengen visa expires and you have a "seamans discharge book , you may stay on the boat as crew . However you will not be allowed to "tour" and will be restricted to the municipal area where your yacht is moored . This came into affect last year 2010 . I stayed legally as yacht crew in Italy , and France for a total of 9 months .Check with your agent ,
Posted: Saturday, June 2, 2012 6:33 PM
Kindly ,am a seaman from Royal carribean international is like am schedule to joinned one of our vessel in Oslo date 21st may 2012 while i got 12month schegen visa C valid till 2013 ...But due to some circumstance my schedule was changed to joined other ship SPLENDOR OF THE SEA IN VENEZA IN ITALY ON 07 TH JUNE 2012..I WILL LIKE TO KNOW IF ICAN STILL USED MY VALID SCHEGEN VISA ISSUED BY NORWAY EMBASSY ..OR I HAVE TO APPLY FOR NEW ITALY VISA ..I HAVE MY LETTER OF EMPLOYEMENT AND SEAMAN BOOK..AND I HAVE C1D AMERICAN VISA VALID... PLS I NEED ADVICES..
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 3:44 AM
hai,i am a seamen and also a chef working in royal caribbean international cruiselines,i sign-on date is 10/05/1013,still i have valid schengen visa to join in barcelona(spain),its valid from 21/06/12 to 20/06/13,so i can use the same visa or i'll take another schengen visa to join in barcelona,i need a right clarification for my question pls.
Posted: Saturday, June 1, 2013 9:07 AM
Joined: 06/07/2010
Posts: 60

Hey guys thank you so much for the advice, looks like the way to go is via agents, but its always to get clued up on what is actually going on! thanks a million.
 Average 5 out of 5