Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
B1/B2 to C1D without leaving the U.S?
Castro2012
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:46 PM

Hello everyone, I have both types of Visa and I would like to know if I can enter the U.S with my B1/B2 stay for vacation visiting relatives for 10 days and then switching to the C1D at the airport to work on the Cruise Ship that I'm getting hired? Would it be possible that I can have my passport stamped indicating I'm leaving as a tourist and reentering for work? Please respond only if you are very sure. Thank you in advance!
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 7:01 PM
I doubt very much you'll get a response from a qualified IMMIGRATION LAWYER here, so therefore you won't get anyone with a "for sure" answer. You really should retain a lawyer to be sure you are legal.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 7:53 PM
Hi i have been coming in and out for 10 plus years on visas and the first time i came in on a c1d. The short answer to your query is no you will not be allowed to switch whilst in the united states because the officer letting you in has to sign off on the mode of entry for each individual. thats why they ask you the purpose of your visit even with b1b2 visas..i'll explain. c1 d is a crew mans visa that is not extendable beyond the 28 days it allows you per visit .it was really designed for the container ships and tankers with rigorous schedules that rarely keep them in port for more than 48 hours unless there is a problem .B1 is business B2 is pleasure if you look closely at the stamp they write using a pen what mote you have been granted entry in i.e c1d or B1 or B2.Be careful how you answer the question (what's the purpose your visit.) unfortunately and depending on your entry point for cruse ships you will get a c1d entry stamp because they leave fairly quickly too and it is also designed to stave off moves like the one you would like to pull . coming in via florida might get you through on a b1 b2 because they have a lot more experience with crew and they understand yachting etiquette , anywhere else and you might have a lot of explaining to do and please refrain from arguing with them because you will not win.i if you want to switch from c1d you will have to leave the country and reenter with the b1 or b2.If you enter with either the b1 or b2 you can adjust your status whilst in the u.s without any issues.I hope that helps.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 8:21 PM
I have worked in cruise ship for years, so I have B1/B2 and C1D. You can enter in USA with your B2, stay some days or months and once you sign on the cruise ship, they change automatically your visa to C1D, in the first week When you sign off the cruise ship (when you finish your contract), you cant have this option, you will have 24h to leave the country with your CD1. If you have some more question, you can write me in reikiana2002@hotmail.com
bpobrien
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 8:40 PM

The short answer is NO. If you entered into the country under a B1 or a B2 visa, this states the purpose of your being in the USA. To change visa type means to change your purpose, thus your original intent has change. To do this properly, you should leave the country (i.e. Bahamas) and return under the correctly visa along with the accompanying ships paper work.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 11:04 PM
I've been Crew Purser on ships for over 10 years traveling all across the world. I can assure you that you will be able to join the ship with no problem if you entered on your B1/B2 visa. This causes more paperwork for the Crew Officer onboard but as this happens too often we know how to fix this onboard. Like someone else has said before you can enter on the B1/B2 stay for vacation and then join the vessel. The change will be done onboard and you will be enter on your C1/D once the vessel enters US waters. This is when you will be cleared as a Crew Member and also when you will receive your I-95. A little more work for the Crew Officer onboard but nothing to be worried about. Just don't confuse the immigration officer at the airport and tell him that you coming for vacation and then joining a ship, that won't work.... just go with the visiting relatives part!
Henning
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:38 PM

10 days is not a problem, just tell the dude what you're doing when you clear in and he'll likely stamp you in on the C1D. Just so long as you have the proper visa, and most importantly don't overstay the I-94 you are issued on entry, it won't matter how they stamp you. Not overstaying the I-94 is important, and it's you're obligation to make sure it gets turned in when you depart as that is the only proof you didn't overstay.
ratpack
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 4:08 PM

Just what I like about Dockwalk - so many experts but still no clear answer. My advice, go to your local US embassy direct and speak to them, you may be surprised about what you learn.
ratpack
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 4:09 PM

Even better still - anonymous experts, you really do have to love 'em
sanusaati
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 8:51 PM

Hi Everey body

please help me by posting suitable answers for C1 D visa. in fact, i applied for C1 D visa but officer gave me B1 B2 visa. in this case i want to join my ship on 2016 so can i use my B1 B2 visa to meet my relatives for one montht in usa before 2016?

if i allowed to meet my relative under my B1 B2 visa then shall i need to explain all the above story to immigration officer in  usa airport?

Thanks

sanusaati

sanusaati
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 8:54 PM

Hi hope you can find for me answer

please help me by posting suitable answers for C1 D visa. in fact, i applied for C1 D visa but officer gave me B1 B2 visa. in this case i want to join my ship on 2016 so can i use my B1 B2 visa to meet my relatives for one montht in usa before 2016?

if i allowed to meet my relative under my B1 B2 visa then shall i need to explain all the above story to immigration officer in  usa airport?

Thanks

sanusaati

Average 0 out of 5
]