Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
What to wear in Antibes for dockwalking ect
Zane
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 7:42 AM

Hi I am very new to the industry. Im leaving south africa for antibes on the 13th of April. I am a very orginised person and i want to know everything before i get there because I am STRESSED haha. So please can anyone give me advice on what should wear? I have heard so many thing. I would like to hear a Chief Stew or Captains advice. Thank you!
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 10:02 PM
Just spend 5 mins looking on here and you will find out all you need to know.. Search old posts, it's all there..
Lauren
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 3:11 PM

Hi Zane,

This forum got quite a few responses:

http://www.dockwalk.com/Essentials/DockTalk.aspx?g=posts&t=37320

Hope it helps!

Zane
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 10:24 PM

thank you so much
Junior Stewardess/ Beauty Therapist
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 1:26 PM

Hello Zane. I am just as stressed as you. I have just left my career as an Air Stewardess to change to the Yachting Industry. I am thinking of heading out there around the 2nd week of April i am a bit nervous think it's because I have made such a big change. Be nice to chat to you. Here's my email address layla.derakhshan@hotmail.co.uk Layla
Van Der Jacht
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 10:46 AM

First impression is most important; for instance, wear a white polo shirt, bermuda shorts or skirts, representative shoes and white socks, as if you're ready to start immediately! When you're invited to step aboard, shoes need to be taken of easily, so no strings. It almost sounds conservative, but that's what most captains or chief stews would like to see. We've had many candidate-stews dressing like they were ready to go to a party, but were not being considered professional. Modesty is of essence!
captbri
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 12:31 PM

Work out regularly, look good, take a shower, put on some makeup if you have less than perfect skin. If anybody tells you that we don't hire based on looks - they'd be lying. Presentation is everything in this industry. It doesn't mean it's a sexual harassment sort of thing - rich guys like something nice to look out. I've been on my fair share of boats and the majority of the owners (men) want the girl serving the $5000 bottle of champagne to look manicured and put together so there buddies are impressed. Don't get me me wrong - you shouldn't look slutty - use the example of the makeup girl at high end department store. Have you EVER seen one that didn't look good? Same concept. That being said, you can't go go wrong with a polo shirt, if in doubt wear one that brings out the color of your eyes. Tan always looks healthy so grab that spray can or hit the beach!

Zane
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 11:09 AM

Layla. i will be in antibes by the 15th of april. but will def email you when im there
MarineDex
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 5:56 PM

Hi Zane,

I can understand starting out in any new industry can be difficult but there are a few people that spend a bit of time to help guide those on the right track. There are plenty of stories and blogs on dockwalk that will either scare you out of the industry before you arrive or prepare you some what on what to expect when you first arrive, so keep reading through the thousands of posts. What I might recommend it checking out The Crew Coach website and speaking to Alison either before you leave or when you arrive at one of her free talks. I know for a fact that they have been extremely helpful to all members of crew when job hunting or looking a head at their careers in the yachting industry.

Best of luck !!!

Average 0 out of 5
]