Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
What is your Favourite Iron? Looking for advice!
Mac
Posted: Sunday, September 2, 2012 12:09 AM

I am currently about to throw away Naomi, my iron. (I named her after Naomi Campbell because it does such beautiful and bitchy things) I am in the market for a 230V Iron(I am on a Feadship) that isn't going to poop on my white linen at the worst possible time. Any favourites? Any ones I should avoid? I would love any conversation on the matter. Thanks so much my fellow Stews!
Rusty Wrench
Posted: Sunday, September 2, 2012 8:47 PM

Try a 'corrugated' iron. Very popular for treating crew uniform and crew personal clothing.

Karen Selby
Posted: Wednesday, September 5, 2012 8:55 PM

Love your iron and it will behave. The Tefal Pro Steam Generators are good or Laurastar, depends on your preference. The most important thing is to empty out any remaining water every day when not in use and refil with fresh just before you start using it again. Also make sure the sole plate is kept very clean and also clean the calc filter (if it has one. This kind of iron usually takes tap water otherwise use demineralised water). In extreme cases if it's spitting dirty marks over your nicely clean laundry then you can fill a shallow tray with water mixed with clear vinegar then turn the iron on and when hot submerge just the bottom of the sole plate into the water and depress the steam trigger to flush through the chamber (make sure you're in a well ventilated area and away from a smoke alarm). Clean the steam holes with an iron cleaning brush (looks like a mascara wand). Once complete fill the water chamber with fresh water, iron on an old tea towel on the steam setting, depressing the trigger, to flush through any remnants before first ironing dark items such as deck crew shorts/polos then eventually moving on to light items when you're sure it's clean.

Average 5 out of 5
]