Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Superyacht Operations Diploma ~ Money Grab?
Cait
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 4:59 PM

Hey there,
I have always loved training and education and found the Diploma in Superyacht Operations through the MPI Group based out of the UK. (http://www.mpigroup.co.uk/education-training/courses/superyacht-operations/)

Just curious if this course would have any weight on a CV in the eyes of a captain or is it a waste of time and money?

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Cizealin
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 5:34 PM

Any education in this field would not be a complete waste of time. But unless you have savings to burn, nothing would beat real experience on your cv. This course, without some years of background in the industry, would be pointless in my opinion. And I think would be regarded as such by most Captains. It's not an internet scam as such, but read their title carefully, they are a publishing house and marketing company, not an academic institution. All they do is create courses in many different fields to sell to people, a lot lot different say from doing a degree at a university in Nautical studies for example.
Cait
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 5:44 PM

Thanks for the feedback Cizealin. Good point about the publishing and marketing, I didn't catch that. I do have some experience but I am always looking on ways to build on the education and skills I have.

Captain Andy
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 8:26 PM

There is only so much that can be written about Superyacht Operations. Why not check their syllabus against the MCA Master (yachts<3000GT) syllabus in MSN 1802. I think you will find they are fairly similiar, but the MCA Master Certificate will put you in a far, far better position. I used the MCA certificate as an example as I am not USCG certified, thus am unable to comment constructively on any comparision between these two syllabi.
Vicky
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:04 AM

The Diploma in Superyacht Operations is an informative and useful course. I am close to finishing it (my exam is in a month's time) and have found it particularly useful in my current situation in a shipyard. The course material is fairly challenging but if you read the information on the mpigroup website, it does state that the course is aimed at Captains or senior crew members. I don't know how much experience you have but as a Chief Stewardess and not an Engineer or Officer I think I probably had to do a little more research for each module than most of the other students on my course. The course itself is affiliated with the University of Portsmouth and is an accredited course - it means if you went on to study something similar at degree level at the University you could count the points from the Diploma (I'm not sure which nationality you are, but this applies to the UK education system). As for whether or not you should take the course, I think it depends on your future plans within the industry. If you haven't done Interior courses such as Advanced Stew, Silver Service etc, (if you are a stew) or Deck courses like Powerboat Level 2 or Jetski instructor (if you are a deckhand) I would recommend doing these first. If, however, you are considering going on to work in yacht management ashore, the Diploma would be extremely useful... Hope this is of some use!
Cizealin
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:07 AM

Very interesting and useful information Vicky. I could not find out which university this company claimed to be affiliated with, they don't reveal that on their website initially, but you have answered that question! So it counts as coursework perhaps if you carry on with Portsmouth University, as a Diploma, is it as such an HND or something similar? Perhaps you could also tell us all how much this course is, as MPI seem reluctant also to tell you on their website unless you sign up with all your personal info. Did they promise people work if you do the course?
MPI Group
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:54 AM

Hi Cait, My name is Lucy Pavia and I run the Superyacht Operations Diploma and by chance I came across your question. Would you like to call me to discuss this course further? Last year over 60 students enrolled on this Diploma. 50% were senior crew and captains the other 50% were land based professionals working in the industry. The MPI Group work in partnership with the Maritime Training Academy, we run the marketing and enrollment to the courses and the Maritime Training Academy draw together the authors and write the course material. You can read the author biographies on our website. The Superyacht Operations Diploma has been running for 9 years now and if you would like to read some current testimonials please see them on our website http://www.mpigroup.co.uk/education-training/courses/superyacht-operations/testimonials/ I will be at the Monaco Yacht Show on the PYA stand if you would like to meet me for a chat, alternatively please contact me either at lucy.pavia@mpigroup.co.uk or call me on +44 (0) 1252 732223. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards Lucy Pavia p.s Good luck with your exam Vicky!

Average 0 out of 5
]