Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Advice: Best Sunscreens
Jonathan
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 6:41 AM

I searched but didn't come up with any existing threads. Yes, obviously sun avoidance is the best sunscreen but being a deckhand that's not always possible. 

So I ask;

What is the best sunscreen for an active fair skinned deckie? Best protection, longest lasting, most sweat/water resistant and least amount of burn when it inevitably ends up in your eyes.

Thanks

Rasselas
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:41 AM

I have always been satisified using Banana Boat Ultra Defense Lotion SPF100.  I think you will be satisified too.
Lisa Grimm
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:36 PM

Try Island Tribe. It's water resistant and stays on for ages, you can't even sweat it out! A lot of surfers use it. It also won't stain your shirts so your stews will be happy
Timkona
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 10:30 AM

The ONLY safe UV protection is clothing. Sunscreens have been proven to increase cancer risk. Therefore, long sleeve shirts with thumbholes, wide brim hat w neck protection, a neck roll to cover chin/nose when needed, GOOD UV A/B Polarized protective sunglasses w see thru lenses to promote customer eye contact (no aviators, reflectors, etc), long pants, closed shoes, shaded workstation where possible.

If any of this conflicts with any dress code mandates, then OSHA safety issues kick in. In 2010, Congress passed a law that says all safety issues that are not the specific jurisdiction of the USCG ie. boat safety/handling, etc are now the jurisdiction of OSHA. OSHA says workplace safety is the responsibility of both the employer AND the employee. So employer cannot prohibit the use of PPE, and employee cannot refuse to use PPE. This particular element of workplace safety really helps the fair skinned/ginger mariner. Don't let your Owners/Captains/HR people bully you into skin cancer by enforcing a dangerous dress code and threatening you with your job if you don't comply. Companies (in the USA, among others) must provide a safe work space. The UV Radiation from the Sun has been specifically identified as a hazard per OSHA. Whistleblower protections are your insurance against termination.

For perspective, chew on these two questions......

Would you weld something, if Captain ordered you NOT to wear your welding helmet?

If welding helmets are available, would you voluntarily weld without one?

Average 5 out of 5