Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
German stews!?
Xirimoya_alegre
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 1:38 PM

Hi guys,

I´m new to the industry and am planning on heading to Ft Lauderdale in November/December to look for a job as a junior stew (will have completed my STCW, Powerboat II and probably a stew training course till then).

I´ve read quite a few posts, articles, blogs etc. but for some reason I´ve never come across a German stew. Do you think/know if that´s just a coincidence or could being German actually be a disadvantage for me when applying for a job?

I have some hospitality and event management experience, speak 4 languages and have lived in an english-speaking country for more than a year so I´m not worried about my ability to speak (almost) fluent English. The only thing I´m a bit worried about is my nationality (may sound a bit stupid but the seemingly complete lack of Germans in the industry really got me thinking...).

Any thoughts/ experiences/ advise?

Thanks a lot!

Lena

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:42 PM

IngridVC
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 1:08 AM

Language skills are a definite advantage on a yacht (or a hinderance) depending on the owner's preferences and crew. I've worked on a prior vessel where the owners insisted on German speaking stewardess as their younger children had very little English. I doubt you will find any problems with your nationality unless you have a very strong accent.

Make sure you listed your languages and fluency level on your CV and also your experience working away from home.

Good luck - don't expect to find work quickly - it can take time to land your first position.

Average 0 out of 5
]