Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
American wanting to know all the essentials needed to work on board...
Kia91
Posted: Sunday, November 9, 2014 6:12 AM

Hi Yall, 

I am a 23 year old American currently living in Auckland, NZ. I am considering a job in this industry but am completely clueless and confused as to what visas, qualifications and basically everything that is needed for this career. 

i would like to work in the Meditteranean and around the carribbean and parts of the South Pacifuc as a Stew or Deckhand and am considering taking my courses in AUS but I don't know the best school and need help finding that. Also, I read that Australia doesn't recignize an MCA certificate. Are there restrictions for Americans and what courses should I be looking for. 

Also what visas or Medicals would be good to have. 

Anything would help. I just need to know what qualifications and if anything else is necessary to start. 

Kia91
Posted: Sunday, November 9, 2014 6:14 AM

I apologize for the misspellings my phone is not the best for typing.
Derrick Hill
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 8:24 PM

All you need to do is look for anyone offering the STCW-95 basic training course.  Then, you will need a medical equivalency.  The MCA medical is called an ENG1, but any STCW compliant medical clearance will do.  Don't worry too much about the MCA license.  Pay more attention to making sure any country license has an STCW equivalent rating, meaning the country license is recognized by the IMO (International Maritime Organization).  Past that, forget all your preferences, pay, location, time off, everything.  Instead, grab some rags, and approach any vessels in your area and offer to help out.  Respond directly to adverts. and make sure to include any other skills that could be helpful onboard a vessel. (i.e. EMT, nursing, divemaster, x-military, nanny, etc.)

Average 0 out of 5
]