Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Is it too late to start in your 30s?
Margarita Padro
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 12:20 AM

Hello! I am taking care of everything in order to move to Fort Lauderdale to pursue a career as a Stewardess. I feel that I am fit for the job since I am high energy, athletic and am eager to learn the ropes. I have the blessing of friends and family, however they all say this job is for people in their 20s. I don't feel 31 and still don't look my age, but will this make things harder for me as an entry-level stew? Any advice before I move to Fort Lauderdale in a couple of months? Thanks in advance! Margarita
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:49 PM

I don't think your too old. It's not that late of a start and you could make it a career. Move from interior housekeeping to deck to mate to capt. It not impossible. At your interview indicate your serious and want to learn. Start reading Chapman's seamanship again if you have not done so already.

First.

Get your STCW first and that will make you more marketable. (www.mptusa.com) call them and then get your butt down to Lauderdale and take the course.

2nd- a great resume and positive attitude. Register with agencies and surf the website like crew4crew, crew unlimited, iyccrew and I'm sure a few more. Duckwalk is a good site but most jobs are from direct referrals such as in your STCW class. 

Tracy_9
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 11:47 PM

The idea that you are too old for starting in this industry is just a limiting belief, not a truth. May I suggest you don't pay attention to people who people who say otherwise because their own fears prevent them from taking any risks in their own life. If you really want to work in this industry, you will make it happen. Oh, and I do know of a 41 year old woman who just landed her first position in the industry as a stew. Anything is possible when you believe it is.
jurel
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 8:02 AM

Hi Margarita!! I have waited a long time to tell my story to someone else getting into yachting. I did not even know about yachting until I was 46. I have been dayworking whenever I can get to Lauderdale for the past 4 years and there were people that said I would never do anything in yachting and I have worked on several yachts up to 280 feet and been offered jobs. I work full time and I can't wait to retire early and work freelance. Yachting is one of the best things that has happened to me in my life. It's hard work but the life style is awesome. Good Luck!!

Average 0 out of 5
]