Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Crew Pacific 'supercrew' course, or not?
mochizzy
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 4:14 PM

Hi guys,

I am a 24 yo professional fundraiser based in London, UK. 

I wish to pursue a career as a stewardess within the yachting industry, combining a career change with my ambition to travel to Australia later this year. I have no prior experience of working on maritime vessels as I currently work within the charity sector, albeit within an executive, customer facing role

I plan to hand in my notice in July and get out to Oz for August 2015 to prepare for Caribbean season. I am very interested in enrolling in the Eight-Day Steward/ess /Deckhand Training Course advertised on Crew Pacific (a course which is hotly contested as I can see from these boards!) and wondered if anyone else had kick started their yacht career in Australia (as opposed to the more 'standard' routes of Antibes et al) and gone via this company to complete the 5* stewardess training?

Similarly, with the exception of getting the STW95 and the Eng1, is there anything I can do in the meantime (i.e. before August) to enhance my prospects of gaining suitable roles? Crew Pacific state that gaining these tickets immediately before or after completing the super crew training is preferred.. I had intended to do my STW95 training in London this summer, but this would not be AMSA accredited.. does anyone have any advice as to what would be the best option given my lack of experience in this field?

Thanks so much for reading.  

kristy_2
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 12:42 AM

Good Morning!

We have received your enquiry to our inbox this morning, via email.  I am currently working on putting together a complete information package for you, and will send it to you today.  

- Crew Pacific

Williams_2
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 11:05 AM

So I guess you have your heart set on Australia? IT will be a lot easier to get a job in say Palma de Mallorca or Antibes. 

The rules are different down under and there are fewer jobs, that being said I know a few people who work that side, biggest complaint they have is having to pay tax (but apparently you can claim it back when you leave)  

Personally I wouldn't hire someone green over someone else who is green because they have taken one of these stew courses, I know that chief stews like to teach green stews exactly how they like things done and would rather not have a 5 minute conversation on how you were shown a different way of doing it, but it may help you in giving you an idea on what is expected from you, that being said all boats expect different things. 

I would recommend taking the Powerboat Level 2 course (or the Australian equivalent) this is always useful on smaller boats otherwise (other than you medical and STCW95) your best weapon will be your C.V, small picture top right, a few lines of a personal profile, schooling you have had, anything relevant to yachting etc. etc. there are plenty of ‘how to write a cv’ posts on this site, just remember we go through a lot of CVs when looking for crew so make sure it professionally stands out i.e. don’t use clipart, oversized pictures etc. (I have seen this) 

And finally, good luck! This is a tough industry to crack, people get lucky and others get sucked into this ‘life style’ of apparently expendable income and blow all their savings before they get a job, make sure you have enough money to last at least 3 months and you should be fine! (Remember Australia is expensive!) 

P.S learn how to tie a bowline and a clove hitch 

mochizzy
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 12:28 PM

Hi both,

Many thanks for your replies. It's helping me to see the bigger picture, certainly. 

I do have my heart set on Australia, and whilst Antibes would be the most logical route, being based in London, I am looking for long term placements rather than seasonal work. This is a career change for me, so I'm really looking to gain new skills so I can accelerate my progression. 

Thank you for your advice regarding courses; I will certainly look into these routes if I decide that the Stew course is not for me.  

Do you think there are particular employers that value the pro-stew approach? I know your own view is that they teach people to be a bit set in their ways which I can entirely understand.  

Best wishes,

Emma

almaangell
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 9:12 AM

Hi Emma,

As a Chief Stew, if you don't have yachting experience, or a hospitality background, an interior course is something that I look for on a CV. To me it shows that you have already made an investment in your newly chosen career, and are serious about it, and also that you have a general understanding of the industry.

Even though I had over ten years hospo experience behind me, I still chose to do an interior course before I left home (I did mine with the Superyacht Crew Academy in Sydney), because I wanted more of an understanding of what exactly was involved in the day to day operations of a yacht, and what the expectations are. While it was all pretty common sense stuff, it was a good foundation. I also brought the book, "An insiders guide to becoming a yacht stewardess" by Julie Perry, I found it to be a useful tool as well....you can buy it on Amazon.

You may want to do your research though when it comes to course cost, you may find it cheaper to do the course in Europe before travelling to Australia, if you do I would recommend the Crew Academy, in Antibes. I recently did a course with them and found them to be fantastic, but of course there are many others so check them out. 

Regarding your STCW, this is world recognised, it doesn't require AMSA approval, likewise for the ENG 1. I would suggest getting the Small RIB and powerboat master cert, which is the Aus equivalent of the PB2.

Australia is a tough Market, I would suggest contacting Donna Morris of Superyacht Crew International, and registering with her agency once you have your STCW...she is local to Sydney, and tends to have jobs in the Australasia region.

Timing wise, I would speak to Donna, personally I would think August is too early for Australia, when spring starts in October/November.

Good luck!

Alison

mochizzy
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 1:54 PM

Hi Alison,

Thank you for such a comprehensive response. 

What was the turnaround time between you doing your course in Sydney and getting a placement? My copy of Julie Perry's book has just arrived and I'm looking forward to picking it up!

The sheer number of courses available in Europe are mind-blowing, and not all cater for a specific 'stew' course. I checked out the Crew Academy courses in Antibes but a Pursor course (I imagine) would be covered by Crew Pacific (I presume)?

Best wishes,

Emma

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 6, 2015 6:08 PM

ok, firstly don't just do a course because it is there.... the whole RYA courses for courses sake is crazy.... I see CVs with about 10 RYA courses on it and they have never set foot on a boat...

Joy at Crew Pacific is awesome....

To counter what was said earlier, STCW or your basic safety training is not world wide accepted... if you do the MCA endorsed version it is useless in Australia and on Australian vessels... where as the AMSA (Aust) version can be used anywhere as I have done

good luck...

mochizzy
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:27 PM

Hi all,

After a lot of consideration into 'start up' courses and advice from the wonderfully helpful Joy Weston, I have decided to take a Basic Training Package here in the UK which is MCA endorsed. It includes the STCW95 as well as Powerboat level 2 and the Short Range certificate and covers Security Awareness. This is to complement my 8-day Stew/deckhand in November that I'll do with Crew Pacific, just incase any newbies like me are interested!

Anon, whilst the above isn't endorsed by AMSA, I ran this combined course past Joy who gave it the thumbs up. This would appear to mean that I'd stand a better chance of gaining work on International vessels, but according to Crew Pacific's website, the 'AMSA-endorsed' aspect of this training is preferable, not mandatory..any thoughts, or does anyone have any information to suggest otherwise?

Many thanks for your input to date.

E x

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 8:19 AM
Just remember that 90% of the people in yachting are brain washed by the MCA system and again most of them only know the MCA ideology... their is more to the marine world than yachts and the MCA... I also know a lot of crew here in Oz that have done the 'cheaper' STCW course (cheaper cos its MCA not AMSA) and then tried to get a job here and have to go and do the whole course again... your decision though...
mochizzy
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2015 10:59 AM

The whole STW95  course?

Average 0 out of 5
]