Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
too old to stew?
lucylou
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 7:29 PM

Hi all, as a 40 year old single woman am I too old to get into the industry? Would I be passed off for much younger newbies?
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 5:52 PM

What's more important is how attractive you are ...

lucylou
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 7:14 PM

Seriously...do older...attractive stews get hired even as newbies?
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 7:51 PM
You're not too old to jump in but you will be at a disadvantage for some jobs where "looks" out way talent. But you wouldn't want to be part of that type of program anyway. There are plenty of seasoned Captains who run great programs where your work ethic is more important. With some younger crew and even older for that matter (not all) the job is all about partying and looking pretty. There's nothing wrong with that at all, as long as the job is getting done and the owner is happy. But I've seen crew come and go because they cannot perform their jobs because they've had a little to much "fun". Your age alone will automatically set you apart as being more mature. But you have to remember that this industry though spans the world's oceans, is a small, tight nit group. Word spreads quickly... Good luck to you..
maayday
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 7:53 PM

If you are willing to live aboard full time and travel with the boat wherever and do no need to work with a boyfriend /partner and take instructions and are willing to learn then you have a chance.   If you only want to freelance then good luck!
Santifer
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 10:11 PM

Well, I´m not really sure of how it runs with stews. With deckhands it really counts. Someone said me that my cv, experience, etc. it great but opps You are over 40´s.

So I think it counts

wink 

Mark_8
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 10:15 PM

Age would not deter me from hiring a stewardess, in fact I prefer many of the characteristics that maturity brings.
lucylou
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 10:17 PM

Thank you for your replies! It gives me some hope! Are there certain skills / experience that would be an absolute must have? (Apart from the STCW95)
Numpty Sailor
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 1:40 AM

Yes, sadly, there are some party boats out there that go for looks and Gucci before ability. There are also many others where ability, personality and hard work trounce percieved age limits. On my boat we have an age range that starts at 21 and goes up with an average age of the 20 crew being 39. They are all as hard working as any crew - probably more so. Go for it.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 3:27 AM
Hi! I started at 33 and i was told by a crew agent that i was too old to think of yachting as new career. It did throw me off and played on my confidence for a long time and i think it still does at time. (Its been 2 1/2 years now). But i do believe that there is a boat for everyone. Boats that hire mature crew are normally more mature too.... Which is a bonus. True and humble crew. The main thing is, you will have to accept junior stew salary and climb the ranks. But with life experience under you belt, that can happen quickly. If you can cook, that will open a whole range of jobs for you too. If you belive you can do it, than you can. Don't let anyone play with your head! Good luck!
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 6:25 AM

What's this age bullshit anyways. Today I met a guy about 56 who was in better shape than a 28 year old. 

If you fit the boat's image or lifestyle or work ethic then you get the job age at ANY AGE!

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 12:19 PM
I think that if you have HUGE determination to do this, that will go a long way.  It certainly won't hurt to look fit and SMILE.   I think many of us would give any determined person a try.   I'll say also that you should be willing to do anything and everything but I'll caution this:  don't lose track and sight of being in a good character.  That's how being 40 should be benefit you -- you are experienced plus you should no longer be utterly and completely foolish.   You will have a great opportunity to show off your wisdom, and some aspect of know-how.  My story:  I entered the competitive sailing world as an "old guy" who also hadn't a resume with all the "from age 6 and on" which was the background that the hirers looked-for.  It was a real trial, an exhausting one.  I know I found a helluva lot of personal satisfaction in "jumping into the arena" and somehow surviving.  I'll add this last pith:  I drew "a line in the sand" that while extremely determined, I would simply not be abused.  When I let others know that, especially owners , I found even more respect and reward.  That was  translated to having maturity.   I've learned overall:  not everyone gets along and not everyone sees value where they might -- so GOOD LUCK.  I so hope you have that with you.
The Crew Coach
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 2:01 PM

Hi LucyLou, 

It's not impossible but it does add a degree of difficulty and you need inside industry advice on this to make sure you don't waste time and money doing the wrong things. There is some great advice here in this article: http://www.thecrewcoach.com/component/content/article/17-resources/alison-s-blog-articles/238-is-35-too-old-to-start-out-in-yachting.html We help people get into yachting at any age - don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any more questions. 

Good luck!

Alison

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 2:29 AM

Off course is not old ! Most of the captains who are professionals prefer to hire mature stewardess

Afther having made the babysitter they realize it.ADDING you have good appearance 

good luck.

Average 5 out of 5