Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
VWP or B1B2
Edd.Collins
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2015 2:52 PM

Hi everyone,

UK citizen – No current USA visa, multiple ESTA’s in the past whilst working aboard charter yachts in the virgin islands.

I am looking to fly to the US to oversee a survey and (survey results pending) bottom work on a 22m yacht for a UK national owner.

Should this work go as planned I shall then be taking over the yacht as Captain to make a beeline for the Caribbean.

The yacht is U.S flagged and the owner wishes to change to a UK flag/registration either pre or post departure from Florida to the Caribbean (Say BVI or St Martin).

My query is surrounding visas to allow me to legally do this:

Can I enter on an ESTA/VWP and depart as captain on the yacht without issue, or do I need a B1/B2 visa to enable me to depart as Captain?

Normally I would be fine and just obtain a B1/B2, due to limited timeframes this isn’t currently possible.

How the flag state is to be changed is another question altogether but the owner is confident there will be no issue..

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Edd

Henning_1
Posted: Tuesday, September 1, 2015 9:24 PM

You'll be fine with a B1/B2. Your situation is somewhat complicated in that you will not be employed by the vessel, however you don't need to be, so leave that whole bit out when you are applying for the visa; just keep it simple, "I am a captain in the yachting industry, the owner I am working for is in the process of buying a yacht in South Florida, and I need to go and represent his interests." Simple as that, that gives the official everything they need to know to issue.

Average 0 out of 5
]