Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Missing wages
kj2765
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 4:27 PM

I've been of my last boat for nearly 8 weeks now and have yet to receive my last wages. Can anyone recommend a good lawyer? I'm not sure what else to do...has anyone been in a similar situation? I know this isn't unheard of
CaptErik
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 6:22 PM

so many questions, where is the boat, what flag, did you have a contract, have they given excuses as to why you haven't been paid, where you both in agreement as to what you were owed when you left, did you quit or get fired. All these questions are needed to be answered.
Pippa Yachtprojects
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 6:28 PM

Hi there,, by "of"  we presume you mean "off" ?

8 weeks is a tad early to put your hard earned cash into a lawyers greedy hands to try and recover it.. my bet it would cost you as much as your last wages are to just get the greedy attorney to send a letter..

Question:  do you have a contract.. if you do it should have in it the person to contact..  or

Call the captain... every day if required... be a pain in the arse if your not worried about the reference. My guess is there is more to this than meets the eye...  for instance why did you leave ?  Did the boat have any expenses in releasing you ..  repatriation is required if you have a contract... if you don't and they had to fly you somewhere you could be on sticky ground..  but what ever you do. don't waste your good money chasing bad with a solicitor .. unless its 100K plus..

Numpty Sailor
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 8:00 PM

As Pippa says, call the Captain everyday.

Do you belong to a union ? If not ... mistake there.

Write to the Flag - they will have someone dedicated to this problem.

Write to the Owner - regularly.

Put it down to experience. Unless you really trusted the Old Man, you should not have left the vessel until you had been paid - another mistake.

As Captain Erik says - so many questions ... but if you have not got your ducks in a row before you joined, have not got a signed 'proper' contract you have no chance now.  Forget the idiotic concept of getting a lawyer involved unless you are owed mucho dollares AND you know your way around the marine legal system. It's complex, costly and dangerous if you are naive. Besides, always remember that your past employer will always have more cash to throw at the lawyers than you will ever have - and they will.

Did you have a management company ?

You could have involved the Port Police before you left the boat or the IMF depending on where you were.

Move on, but use your power to tell as many people as you know about the boat and the Owner.

In the end you will win because you are now free to do what you want and you have learnt a valuable lesson - that's priceless.

dannym
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 7:51 AM

Are you a Nautilus International member?

All Nautilus members are entitled to free industrial and legal assistance for this kind of case (on top of numerous other benefits), but they have to be members before the incident occurs. That said, you could join now for some verbal advice on this matter and then be covered for any future issues. 

Take a look here: https://m.nautilusint.org/en/join-us/. And notice that the subscription costs less than the price of your sunglasses!

Dayworker
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 8:27 PM

Hi there,try to catch up the boat in a harbour. Talk to the captain. If this doesn't work, talk to the management agency. Doesn't work? Contact the owner. No results. Talk to the next charter-guests. When they left the boat. Last solution: Show up in the early morming and contact the local authorities. They can put the boat on the chain. If you are not as intelligent as a rusty screw you can make it yourself, without a lawyer.

Dayworker
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 8:29 PM

Can you name the boat?

Moderator edit: Please note that Dockwalk has a no naming and shaming policy. You can check out the forum guidelines here.

Average 5 out of 5