Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
International SIM card advice
Ranald Clarke
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 10:14 AM

Hi Dockwalkers,

I'm joining a world cruising yacht and hoped the community might have advice on the best SIM card to use for international travel.

Itinerary is USA & Carib mainly, followed by off-radar remote locations. I have in the past had 2-3 phones with Med number, US number, Home (UK) number but I'd love a better solution.

Is there a better way? 

- Thanks

Pippa Yachtprojects
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:43 PM

Email me. Pippa@yachtprojects.net we have several solutions
Capt Steve Naimoli
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 9:21 PM

T-Mobile seems to be the best for the US and the Bahamas.  Fixed price and you don't have to buy an international calling plan like AT&T has.
gaga11
Posted: Thursday, February 2, 2017 7:59 PM

Hello,
I have successfully used the following simple strategy for years.
1. Get an unlocked phone.
2. Get a SIM card/number from each service provider when and as you need one.
3. Don't put a lot of money on it to reduce the risk of not using what you have already paid for.
Note: If you work as crew and can't master switching a SIM card on your phone...I'm just saying....

Average 2.5 out of 5
]