Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Experienced Mariner New to the Industry
Matt mcpherson
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2017 10:32 AM

Hello My fellow mariners,

Although I have been working in the marine and dive industry for the past 20 years, I will be joining the superyacht industry for the first time in 2017. I have a Master 200 unlimited, STCW10, Master class 5 (aus) MED 2(aus), PADI Course Director, TDI DECo procedures instructor, EFR first aid instructor trainer, Oxygen admin instructor, working at heights, confined spaces qual, cert 3 security ops and decades of management experience.

I'd appreciate any tips or leads for positions within the industry. Tips on where, when and what positions you think I might be suited for. Leads, well hey, its worth a try, if you see this and know of a position, and your happy to let me know, I'd be very gratefull.

Thanks in advance everyone of you, I look forward to seeing you in some of those beautiful spots around the world.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 9:17 PM

Hello Matt,

Firstly your OZ tickets won't count for anything overseas so your on a yacht master offshore. With this ticket you could probably get a deckhand job or with your experience maybe a Bosun job. Remember you will be competing with thousands of 20 something's and even though you have years of experience unfortunately yachting gravitates towards youth before skills especially for deckhands. If I were you I would concentrate on joining a yacht as the dive instructor or dive crew as you obviously have a lot of experience with this. There are many large boats which employ dive crew and with your extensive deck knowledge this will be a positive. You should get in touch with some crew agents in the USA, England and France. If you go to the JF recruiting website they have a list of crew agents in all these locations   https://www.jf-recruiting.com/Info/Crew-Agencies   Good Luck!

MMBanks
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 10:38 PM

Matt,  I , also, came into the industry at an older age. The key to getting jobs for me was when I finally got a great CV and headshot that made me more competitive.  Since then, I've had no trouble getting jobs.  With the right marketing of your skills and experience, you'll find that boat that wants a mature crew. They do exist. Message me and I'll get you in touch with the company that did my CV. They're great with mature yachties. Margaretonyachts@gmail.com
Matt mcpherson
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 9:46 AM

Thank you so much guys, it has proven to be challenging as an experienced mariner coming into this new industry where my experience really doesn't help get a foot in the door, but getting your advice I'm certain will help me finally get my first gig, thank you again.

Average 0 out of 5