Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Some questions about sewage water
Ivan
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 9:58 AM

Hello everybody!

There is Hamann treatment plant for pumping of black and grey water to overboard. By Marpol rules necessary to inspect plant every 5 years. Anybody have done it? If the plant without certificate from inspection you should not pump by plant in port/marina.?

Some authority ask you to give volume sewage tanks. What they mean: volume of black water tanks or black water+ grey water tanks?

Do you seal up the discharge overboard valve from black and grey water tanks without plant. ?

Do you make some recorder and where, when you use pump for discharge the black and grey water at sea after 12 miles from shore?

The yacht more 400 GT and private use.

Thank you in advance.

Dinuka
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 4:18 PM

I'm not 100% sure but, as far as I know Marpol Annex 4 doesn't say anything about plant inspections. All it is that if the plant was an old unit before year 2003 before sewage pumpout regulations came into action for discharging sewage overboard, that by 2008 it needs to meet the standards regulated by it. This plant inspection you mentioned could purely be your class requirement for machinery survey. Class certificates are issued for a 5-year period, subject to the satisfactory completion of periodical in-service surveys. So this looks like your renewal survey is due. Which should be again will matter to many other machinery as these will also expire as normally all these certificates are dated for same day.

New Hamann HL cont 2 unit has a French government issued certificate that this can be used in French waters to pump out. Basically it is a type approved by administration which allows you to pump anywhere but again every port / marina have zero discharge policy that you need to adhere to and respected. And the ports enforcing these rules needs to set up systems to pump out vessels tanks without casing any delay to the boats. Basically if your plant is not a type approved plant (i.e. Discharges disinfected clean water you are only allowed to pump out using it 4nm away while vessel is underway. Hamann super mini plus is a great example for this. It is a Treatment plant with communiting and disinfecting. So only can be used 4nm to the nearest land.

Some boats do have both grey and black tanks goes into the same or with a diverter valve to accommodate more capacity in case one tank is full. So if your vessel have dedicated black and grey tanks then they should be listed separately. If not it'll be taken as black + grey tank.

Black water direct overboard discharge valve should be locked and key kept with the CE. Unless you are meeting the pump out standards for direct discharge valves will be kept closed and no discharge should take place. (12nm offshore). When you arrive in a port, if port states boards the vessel and find out that this discharge valve not been locked there is no proof for you to say you haven't pumped out less than 12nm and there could be heavy fines.

Because the vessel is 400 GT vessel you also need to maintain a sewage discharge record book regardless whether it is a private or commercial vessel and log every time discharge is being done. Either through plant or direct discharge. This also needs to be logged in the Engineroom log book and counter signed by the duty engineer and then the CE. Vessels position at start / stop, speed of vessel, time of start and stop of plant operation / pump out, Rate of pump out , treatment method whether this is through a type approved plant or just comminuted and disinfected or untreated these all info need to be logged.

Hope this helps.

Ivan
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2017 2:35 PM

Dear Dinuka. Thank you for your reply.
Said with some engineers, nobody do not log pumping of sewage water. The sewage plant runs automatically. As for me, most of time the yacht stay in port and i do not mark in engine log book. I mark in engine log book when the yacht sails only. There are not any sewage discharge record book on the board too.I have never seen the sewage discharge record book. I will be glad to hear replies others Engineers, very interesting replies based on experience at the yacht. 
Thanks in advance!

Average 0 out of 5