Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
entry letter
ziazan
Posted: Thursday, June 8, 2017 2:43 PM

I know this might sound like a dumb question but I recently took my first job as captain a a yacht and I am flying out of the U S for a few days.

I am from South Africa with a B1/B2 and usually had a letter from the boat and captain when i needed to fly back into the U S, but now as a captain do you just write yourself a letter from the boat or is there another way of proving that you do work on the boat ?

Any help would be appreciated 

Thank you

ziazan
Posted: Friday, June 9, 2017 2:21 PM

Any advice ?

petelimo
Posted: Friday, June 9, 2017 6:31 PM

To be perfectly honest. I have not needed to present my letter for the past 3 years. Not to say i'm not prepared. I do sign my own letters but also have my owner sign, with his contact details for any further clarification.
ziazan
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2017 3:01 AM

Thanks Pete

hopefully i get a few more responses from other captains

don't want to get on the wrong side of cbp

cdhezel
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2017 7:40 AM

owner or management company to sign, also not a bad idea to get a letter from the Harbour/facility manager where the vessel is berthed.. failing that take a copy of your contract with you

CD

Bob Terrell
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2017 3:20 PM

I think it is helpful if you have a copy of the vessel documentation, and you are the Captain.
NavNet LLC
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2017 4:16 PM

Also the vessels insurance binder or policy will have your name on it to prove you are the Captain of record.
Captain Branco
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 11:32 PM

a power of attorney letter might be helpfull in these situations to prove your captain's identity  

Average 0 out of 5
]