Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Crew problems
seaguy25
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 1:17 PM

i haven't been in yachting very long.. new deckhand for a few months. My fellow crew are about...rebellious to say. Eg  He captain has strict no drugs no alcohol policy but I've seen my head of dep doing drugs when the captain has stepped off the boat. 

considering the rules on board. Do I say something? I don't want to be a rat but want to respect my leader but I also don't want to get caught for knowing.. Or should I just find another boat? It took me a few months to get this one so I don't want to job search again or only have a 3 month stint on cv 

Gabriel Poirier
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 6:12 PM

When it is about drug, the only answer is " get out of there". Not only it is against the yacht rules but it is illegal. Do not put yourself in this kind of situation. I turn down a mate job on a 145', when my girlfriend find some drug aboard. We both left the same day. No regrets at all. I will do it again if needed. 

I know it is not easy to find a good yacht position. And it is better to look for a job then to look out from a cell. If the police, coast-guard... step aboard, everyone is in big trouble. Including you.

Be honest with the crew agent. Good luck.

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 10:48 PM
If your not doing the drugs, and you have no knowledge of it happening, not your problem. Not sure where people get the conclusion that everyone on the vessel is responsible for one knucklehead If you don't have a license to be taken away you also will not be held accountable. The accountability ultimately rests on the master. If the master has no knowledge of the activity, and the Authority come aboard and finds it, the drug testing begins. They will find out who's it is. The laws are different all over the world. I am just speaking about areas I am familiar with. With that said, when is the last time you've heard of any yacht being detained for casual drug use by crew, owners, guests, or charterers.
cdhezel
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 11:29 PM

To Anonymous above, You are not the type of person the industry needs, (let alone not having the cajones to sign your name,)  if you think its not your problem then  seek another field of employment.

Regardless of the situation, the legal and possible fiscal repercussions of having drugs on board make this an easy decision. 

If you are aware, or have solid reason to suspect there are drugs on board you have an ethical and legal responsibility to bring this to the attention of your Captain or superior officer.

As a Captain any crew member who does not do so demonstrates, whether they are using or not, that they are unreliable and would be dismissed "with prejudice" and charged with possession. 

A crews principal responsibility is to the Vessel, it's safety and the well being of those aboard her !!! Basta!!!!

-chase-
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 4:51 AM

You're new to yachting. I don't know how new you are to the vessel your on but...

Ask to have the vessel rules explained to you. Some "strict rules" are for when the vessel is underway or their are guests on board.

If you have a problem with something someone did or is doing. Talk to that person first. You need to work as a crew, a team. You have to live together. Trust each other.

Yachting is not the military. It's not a church. Crew will be crew, people will be people. Some party, some don't.

That said...

As a general rule... No drugs are brought on, or allowed on board. If for no other reason, legal or illegal, you don't own the yacht.

Storing illegal drugs, even for personal consumption, involves everyone in what they or they may not choose to be involved in. It takes their choice away. 

But let's not pretend it doesn't happen. It does. Whether by crew or guests. As for Guests and Owners and what they do... well, that's for another thread.

As for crew... And what to do. It depends. Every case is different. Are we talking an ounce of coke or a half a joint, or a couple pills to help them sleep? Heroin or Zanex?
Are you even sure what you "saw" was considered illegal? Maybe, they took some meds. I don't know i wasn't there.

My first suggestion as stated, talk to your fellow crew member first. Just ask them, " I thought this was a strict no drug, no alcohol vessel..  i saw you were partying the other day... or whatever Blah, blah blah. Am I missing something or misunderstanding the rules... ?"

Let them explain, you may find out, "strict" is only for... And not so strict is for...
Or you may find out yes, it's strict all the time. Or you may find out you were mistaken. Or they didn't understaff the rules. Not everyone is from the USA that works on a Yacht. Not all countries are as strict on drug laws and what is and isn't illegal.

Then voice your concerns to the person. 

If it's smuggling... Or reckless endangerment to crew and guests or the vessel via consumption to excess. Which for the later you probably won't have to say anything, it'll be noticed. But if not...

Then it's time to move up the ladder and discuss it with either the First Mate or Captain. But again.. i would let that person, your fellow crew member in question, know what you about to do. Give them a way out. By tossing it overboard... flush it, whatever. Or cool their heels on dipping into the sauce so to speak.

You're not there to play cop, or judge others. You're there, just as everyone else is, to be a crew member. 
So act like one.

Trust me, there's going to be a day you do something that doesn't sit well with another crew member. And wasn't how that vessel wants or expects it to be done. You'd want your crew member to come discuss it with  you before running to the Captain or even other crew members right? 

So... There's your answer. Give your fellow crew the same courtesy you would expect or like to be given you. In all matters.

Just my 2 cents....

Cheers...

Numpty Sailor
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 12:50 PM

Be warned - the messenger always gets shot !!

Go go find another vessel as it's just not worth being on a 'compromised' vessel. There are many out there which are clean and well run.

Good luck and stick with your principals.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 8:28 PM

A bunch of people on my last boat did drugs. Sometimes in there cabins.

A bunch of people on my current boat do drugs.

Its got nothing to do with me and is not my responsibility to control. You can't be fired for doing drugs if your not doing them.

Any captain saying it is your responsibility and threatens to dismiss you would also need to dismiss the other 50 crew on my first boat that know about it and the other 20 or so on my current boat that know. Infact they wouldn't be a very good captain if it was common knowledge on board and they didn't know about it.

Aside from drugs crew going out and getting hammered on booze every opportunity they get seems to be the norm in the industry. 

You havn't mentioned how long the boat is. If its a 30 ,etre then perhaps your view is more understandable as things are a bit closer but still you can't be fired for doing nothing wrong. If they are doing it in your cabin then that is unacceptable and tell them to sod off. If they don't then they are disrespecting you and by all means dob them in.

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 3:39 AM
CDHezel,  To say a crew member will be charged with possession when they don't have in their possession and don't have it their system is just plain false. If you can give an example, go for it. To say I shouldn't be in this business is ignorant. Your probably the Capt that went back to the dock because an owner or guest was smoking pot. I commend you the almighty.
Gabriel Poirier
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 3:55 PM

For all the "Anonymous" to afraid to put your name out. If you are welling to put your life at risk because of crew on drug, you are not smart at all and you should find an other job. Yes, you put your life at risk working with people who cannot perform their duty on a safe way. 

Forget the fact that it is illegal or that you think that it is not your business, forget all that. Just dot forget that it is your life.

Bryan_1
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 2:20 AM

I suggest that you reread your crew agreement or ships standing orders.

You will find in most cases that by not reporting this behavior to the captain you are also breaking your contract and can be dismissed. If you do not report the behavior you in effect are condoning it.

Is your career worth more to you than some selfish assholes bad habits?

Average 0 out of 5