Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
The "Brand New" feeling again ...how ?
Master Instructor Yacht Reconditioning and protect
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 10:09 AM

New applications of nano-technological protection on Super Yachts. 

Every Yacht Captain and Yacht Charter has to deal with it, the Yacht owner wants to see his proud property in optical state of “Brand New” when he is boarding. 

That is not a easy job, and it must be done perfectly and quick ….what to do ? 

The condition of the paint and the influences of salt water and UV radiation in many cases also determine the current gloss, what can you do about it ?  

Many Companies all over the world claimed they can provide you the best cleaning and protection products with the best results, environment friendly, and for the best prices. 

The market is overloaded with Manufacturers who all guarantee their products are the best on the marked, nice promises, but no real results. 

So after all, you will be stuck up with a big amount of cleaning and protection chemicals who will not have or give the end result you suspect. 

The shine is not optimal, the owner is not satisfied, solution, ask an expert what to do to get a perfect result. 

Why? 

Sometimes spraying seems the only solution but cost a lot of money, and time los and that’s not what the  owner like to hear. 

But there are proven solutions to postpone this over 3 years 

Each Yacht surface is different and requires a custom build solution. 

The current gloss must be measured first. 

When the result is under 70 gloss units, the gloss must be upgraded to 90 gloss units first by polishing the surfaces mechanically. 

Normally it’s a lot of work and give a lot of dirt, dust and practical problems. 

Under the guidance of an expert crew instructor and using professional materials this can be done in a short period of time and create a superb end result, sometimes with a higher gloss than new. 

Only after this a protective layer can and must be applied, to protect and keep this gloss for at least 3 years. 

With the use of advanced nano-technology, there are many options of Ceramic nano protection coatings on the marked, but only the best proven will be suitable to protect the surface of a Super Yacht, otherwise you have to repeat this every year. 

I  tested the last years a lot of nano protection coatings on different kind of Yacht surfaces, gel coat, and popular types of paint and under different kind of circumstances and find out that 70% of the products has no nano technology at all, it brings only a polymer film on the surface, that will stay only for a view months.    

Once cured a good and proven nano coating, the coating gets very hydrophobic (water repellent); salt water rolls off the surface and grabs dirt and grime. This is known as the self-cleaning effect, washing will be extremely easy and the need for heavy detergents and chemicals are obsolete.  

The responsibilities are to big to trust any Company who like to sell nano-coatings to you. 

Ask an Expert what and how to do, to give the Yacht owner the “Brand New” feeling again for years. 

I will be  24/7 “At your service” to inform you if you have problems or questions.  

Ronald.  

Gabriel Poirier
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 1:49 AM

WOW! Who gave you this title????Are you a chemist? "I  tested the last years a lot of nano protection coatings on different kind of Yacht surfaces, GRP, and popular types of lacquer and under different kind of circumstances and find out that 70% of the products has no nano technology at all, it brings only a polymer film on the surface, that will stay only for a view months.  

How do you find out that " 70% of the products has no nano technology at all" Do you know what is nano technology?

Explain to me and everyone else why" Sometimes overspray seems the only solution" for the last 20 years aboard, everyone told me that overspray is a problem. Since when it is now the only solution?

Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 8:23 PM

Hello Gabriel,  

Nice to meet you here on Docktalk. 

I got my degree as Technical Engineer in 1974. 

After this I got 2 Teacher degree Special treatment Micro Bodywork, and Car and Yacht Re-conditioning. 

And work a few years for the Government, as a Car Re-conditioning instructor and educated youngsters    incl. a job guarantee. 

After this I was traveling a lot as advisor and trouble shooter in yacht maintenance, because it’s my passion in live, and started Butler Yacht Support, and work for Princess, Fairline, Neptune, Elling and other brands on the marked.      

You are right about the word “over-spray”  this word is  chosen wrongly by me, in the Netherlands we use the term "over-spuiten " that means spraying up a new topcoat. 

And you are right to say that in this meaning “over-spray”  is a problem, I experience this problem on dark blue hulls often.  

I’m not a chemist, but over the last 15 years I work closely with chemists from the laboratory of Akzo Nobel in the Netherlands and Scott Bader to test the influences and effects of different kind of protection coatings on lacquer,  GRP or gel-coat surfaces, such as wax, polymer, and nano coatings. 

AkzoNobel Surface Chemistry is a leading expert in colloid and surface chemistry and its application to mineral flotation. This has been achieved through over 40 years of research and development in molecular and surface chemistry, coupled with close customer collaborations and extensive field experience. 

The main problem was the UV influence on dark blue gel-coat,  pigment change, and styrene evaporating . 

We work together in testing and developing. 

What about Nano based on Siliciumdioxide (SiO2) or Titanium(IV)oxide (TiO2) you can find perfect         explanations on Internet about this. 

My passion in live is to find the best in custom build solutions to make and keep it new.  

Gabriel Poirier
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 6:38 PM

Hi,

Ok, I will give you the "overspray" translation thing.

I still don't have the answer about: 70% of the products has no nano technology at all. how do you find it? I can take and understand a technical answer, believe me.

I would like to know which university gave you" 2 Master degrees Special treatment Micro Bodywork, and Car and Yacht Re-conditioning. "

Since when we put on a" kind of protection coatings on lacquer,  GRP "? Just to let you know that we do not applied "kind of protection coatings on lacquer,  GRP.' 

Lacquer: a liquid made of shellac dissolved in alcohol, or of synthetic substances, that dries to form a hard protective coating for wood, metal, etc.

So you want to put protective coating on protective coating. Why?

GRP: glass-reinforced plastic. Before putting a protective coating, we put fairing and paint, Gel-coat... BEFORE the protective coating.

Again, which university gave you the : 2 Master degrees Special treatment Micro Bodywork, and Car and Yacht Re-conditioning. "

Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 11:57 PM

Hi

You are completely right, and I confess that my English is absolutely terrible, I will use Google translate this time to find the proper words.

That’s the reason that I use wrong words in my righting, and create misunderstanding.

Maybe not right at all, but go back to school and learn better English first before I try to introduce my self on Docktalk.

I’m glad that you are the only one who react on my (badly translated) introduction here on Docktalk and kick me in the balls, and thank you for this.

First my Master degrees, I mean “Meester in Dutch” that means Teacher Google make from meester "Master" I was a Teacher in micro body work at DLT (Deuk en laktechniek Oosterhoud).

And I was a Teacher in Yacht en Car reconditioning at the Focwa organization, Woerden.

There is no University in the world who give this educations.

So I will delete word Master from my information, otherwise I give a wrong idee to people who read this.   

Lacquer I mean paint, "Lak in Dutch" Google make Lacquer and GRP I mean Gel coat sorry for that, I apologize for giving you the wrong impression.

About the 70% of products that pretended that they use nano technology but not have, are the solutions after testing in the laboratory of Akso Nobel, a lot of them are still on the marked as nano protection coatings for cars and boats, but bring nothing more than a polymer wax to protect, and will not stay or protect longer than a few mounts.

10 years ago when nano were  introduced on the marked, everybody was afraid because of the possible influences on human body, but later nano became also a popular name, so big business for al who want to introduce their protection coatings as a new nano based product on the marine and car marked.

With Butler I treated a lot of yachts who sail on salt water en tested a lot of products from who we know that they had good references, but good products on nano technology are expensive, and most of the time to expensive for yacht owners.

On this moment there are good (nano proven) products on the marked for a reliable price.

Re-conditioning of Yachts is my passion in live, and the last 25years I have a lot of experience, and work for a lot of brands on the Yacht marked, and love to give the owner the “brand new” feeling again.  

I hope I translated this time in respectable writing to you, (without Google translation) if not ? sorry for it.

Average 0 out of 5