Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Wedding in June, Dockwalk or wait?
boatymyboatface
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 10:33 AM

Hello again all,

Following on from my qualification post, I'm wondering when to start looking for work. I can begin working on Yachts from the 1st of May, however I have a wedding in June. Do you think it would be possible to be given leave for this. I really can't miss it as it's literally the only wedding to happen in my family, since before I was born, and I'm the best man! 

Should I just wait and try to find my first Job after the wedding, although I'm fearful the hiring season will be mostly over by then in Europe. 

I would be happy flying somewhere else but I'm not sure when the season work in the Caribbean, Aus etc begins and ends. Also the visas and legal side of things seem to be a bit tougher from what I have read. 

Anyone else in a similar situation or can shed some light onto what you would do if you were starting out again. 

Thanks,

Steve

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 2:05 PM

Employers generally listen during interviews, but anything that diminishes your availability or adds complication to the hiring process is never beneficial.

I recommend getting your personal life in order and then search for work. I interview candidates all the time and know that owners rarely make special deals.

John Doe_1
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2018 12:06 AM

I was denied permission to attend my fathers funeral and my best friends wedding as best man on different boats.

Average 0 out of 5
]