Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Should I be discouraged about my gender?
Scott-_
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 4:13 PM

Hi there, I'm a young lad (19) looking to get involved in this industry later on this year, as the opportunity I have to get started is way too good to pass up! I am however slightly nervous about the fact that myself being a male, will make life much harder for me becoming a steward on-board a luxury yacht. I feel like I am over thinking things in regard to how hard it will be, however, is there anybody who can let me know if many captains/owners do in fact have strict rules in place for the gender of the yachts stewards and stewardess' they employ as members of their crew. Additionally to this, will my age and youthful looks also discourage certain yachts from employing me regardless of my qualifications and great work ethic? 

Thanks, Scott. 

SFE
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 12:13 AM

Like most of us, get out and give it a go.

What have you got to lose.

Askhole
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 12:28 AM

Stewards are always male.

Stewardesses are always female. 

So I’d get out there and be positive, tenacious because that’s what people do, when they search for their first break. 

Good luck. 

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2018 7:16 PM

Please don't let this discourage you but I am yet to see a male stew.

So far have worked on

50m private

80m Private

74m Private/charter

114m Private

Good luck

Average 0 out of 5
]