Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
MCA OOW YACHT NAV & RADAR AUSTRALIA OR NEW ZEALAND
Andy Davies
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 6:42 PM

Does anyone know of a training facility in New Zealand or Australia that offers MCA OOW Modules such as Nav & Radar and Advanced Sea Survival? Any help and advice will be appreciated Cheers Andy
MarineDex
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 9:17 PM

Check both the AMSA and Tafe websites for training centres in Australia. I know that their is a large maritime in fremantle western Australia that completes STCW courses. Hopefully that will be some help, let me know if you're still stuck finding training centres.
kapt_mark
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:44 AM

I researched this back in 2006 when I  was doing these modules and made up a price and dates spread sheet. From memory, there was a large training centre in Tasmania that worked out to be one of the cheapest options. That may well have changed since. I ended up doing my modules in Southampton and Fort Lauderdale as it was the most convenient at the time.

Henning
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:03 AM

Down in Tassie if you're traveling, it's the nicest spot in Aus I know of to do it.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:51 AM
Andy, there is nowhere in Australia that you can do MCA Yacht modules... none of the colleges want to pay the extreme fees to maintain accreditation. if you go to MSN 1802 it states (and has stated for 5 years now) that STCW BST, and other short courses are accept by the MCA from Australian colleges... this is not correct... they accept the BST and GMDSS and that is it... despite the website stating it, and I also received 2 emails from the MCA (Deck and GMDSS department and the other from the certification dept), both stating that I could do the PSCRB, Adv Fire etc in Australia, and they even named the specific colleges that I could do it at... I even replied to these emails to double confirm that it was all OK, and received the go ahead... What a joke.... so I went and did the courses less than 2 months after receiving the emails, then submitted my (OOW/Chief Mate) application only to receive a letter saying that my short courses were NOT acceptable... I then sent the emails to the chief examiner and he stood by the decision that the courses are not accepted, despite the emails... 18 months later the website still said that you could do the courses in Australia... the MCA is a joke... don't deal with them I simply did another 2 months in college and got a FULL COMMERCIAL STCW ENDORSED CoC... none of this yaching shit... the MCA don't have a clue what is going on in there own office... this really pissed me off cos 99% of captains I dealt with in yachting didn't want to accept my non MCA ticket... if it didn't have the word 'Yacht' on it or you mention a full commercial ticket they ran a mile... probably feeling inferior, who knows.. well NZ state that they have Yacht tickets that are 100% accepted by the MCA but their office is run by non marine personal and when you ask a question to 3 different staff you get 3 different answers, so be careful there... and of course asking the MCA if a NZ yacht ticket is accepted, well, even getting that in writting is no guarantee of future acceptance.. good luck

Average 0 out of 5
]