Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Yachtmaster Offshore, tidal or not?
mans.nil@gmail.com
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:30 AM

Hey, I'm going for my YM in a few months and I am trying to find out how important it is for it to be tidal. I know that in theory it's useless outside the med (which I really want to get out of), but I have seen hundreds of job ads asking for it, but can think of none asking for it to be tidal. The thing is that working in the med isnt getting me any tidal miles and the non tidal one would be heaps easier for me. I just want to make sure itll still be as valuable. What do you guys got? Would you captains out there pick a tidal over a non tidal or does it come down to personality and references rather than the ticket? Cheers
TopTrumps
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:23 PM

I personally would never hire anybody in an position in which they may be required to hold watch or adhere to safe manning requirements if i was to find out their yachtmaster certificate was non tidal. I believe that you should not be able to even take a non-tidal yachtmaster. And as for satying the med is non-tidal this is only partly true and a knowledge of wind formed currents and how to react to such events is vital to being a good navigator. Also it shows a lack of respect for basic seamanship if a student did not wish to learn even the fundamentals of tidal navigation. Especially on deep draught displacement vessels or sailing yachts.
AyeishaDM
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 8:24 PM

Hi, I am also taking my YM this winter however I have done over 70% of my miles in tidal water but am going to take my YM here in the Med as this is where I'm based. I may be wrong but when I called the RYA they said that as over half my miles are Tidal, even though I'm taking it here in the med it is still classed as tidal, they even sounded confused when I asked as they said to qualify for your YM you need tidal miles. My advice would be to get Tidal, it's important, if you sailing in the Uk, north of France etc you will regret not having it, plus surely it's vital to know about tide calculations secondary ports etc... Good luck and I hope you pass.
Ian Jinks
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 5:39 AM

The RYA Yachtmaster Offshore does not have a tidal or non tidal reference. The exam itself can be taken in non tidal areas such as the Mediterranean, however the examiner would have to look harder at the tidal theory, as it would be difficult to assess practically. Many schools offer preparation courses, and these are often better in tidal areas , as students are more likely to get to grips with tidal boat handling , than learning the theory of it only . However, good schools are still able to prepare students in non tidal areas for the exam. The confusion in the "tidal or non tidal" comes from the underpinning courses of RYA Day Skipper and Coastal Skipper, these are classed as non tidal in the med, however non of these are required to take Yachtmaster Offshore. You can download the examiners report form from the RYA website which gives you a good understanding of what things the examiner will be looking at, I hope this all helps, Ian Jinks RYA Examiner

Average 5 out of 5
]