Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Canadian looking for Visa Information
Ruth
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 12:21 AM

I am a Canadian who is new to the industry and would like to get information from fellow Canadians on how they went about obtaining a visa to work on a US as well as non-US registered vessel. I was told by many that I needed at B1/B2 Visa. However, after making an appointment with the US Embassy, I was advised that this is not required as I am a Canadian citizen and receive an automatic B1/B2 Visa upon entry to the US that is valid for six months. They advised that I needed a C1/D Visa which you can only get once hired. But after further research, I have learnt that a C1/D Visa is only valid for 29 days!! Can someone please shed some light on this for me. Thank you!
rodsteel
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:13 AM

Hello Ruth,

I believe my response on the following thread applies to you also. Check with Karen on FiveStarCrew (Facebook) - she is a former Canadian yacht engineer.

http://www.dockwalk.com/Essentials/DockTalk.aspx?g=posts&t=48456

Regards,

Rod

P.S. non-US nationals cannot usually work on US flagged yachts (in US waters).

Average 0 out of 5
]