Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Male stewards and the possibility of work
Daniel Page
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2012 2:41 AM

I'm a male steward currently residing in Australia working on a 33m M/V and was contemplating making a go of it in the med. I have managed luxury resorts around the south pacific and I'm trained as a sommelier, butler, barista, and in silver service. I have extensive tender driving skills, line handling skills, and general deck skills with a little bit of engineering. I would just like to know is there any prejudice towards male stewards in the med or carribean? I never really here of male stewards blogging or anything like that, so i was just wondering if its uncommon or impossible any help would be greatly appreciated cheers! Oh and where is the best place to start searching, I have currently been on my last boat for a year!
Andy
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2012 10:45 AM

There are quite a few male stewards. Can be a little bit harder to find work, but it is out there. With a wider skill set such as deck and tender driving you should have no problem. Med season is comming to an end in a couple of months so might not be the time to start walking the docks over here. Get yourself registered with the crew agencies in Antibes before you come over. You will also need a basic STCW certificate of safety training and a valid STCW medical. You can get these done in Australia. Best of luck.
Daniel Page
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2012 12:11 PM

Thanks for the affirmation Andy. Yeah i'm planning to head over to France Mid March, apart from Antibes is there any other ports that you'd recommend checking out in my search for jobs?
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2012 4:42 PM
personally, in 10 years I have never worked with one but hear that they are more likely found on the mega to giga size classes. I would prefer personally to employ a male steward as my shore based wife gets quite jealous however I have to abide by management company policy which dictates sex, age, size, and looks of service staff. Moving from MVs to MYs, the more you have to offer the better in terms of skills and experience and you will probably start on a small yacht or as 2nd or 3rd on a bigger one.

Daniel Page
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2012 12:56 AM

Thats great mate, thanks for the advice. My partner of 3 years and I will look at getting a job together, we have managed high end luxury resorts around the south pacific and she has had many articles of praise written about her as a chef and a yacht chef.I know the chances of a chef/stew team are slim but we will try none the less! I'm pretty confident in my charming abilities(fingers crossed)
Andy
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2012 12:11 PM

Antibes is a good base to look for work in March. You can stay in contact with all of the crew agencies in town, also you will hear more word of mouth jobs here. Don't get caught up in the new crew party culture though!! I would recommend walking the docks at every port from Genoa to Marseille; but would concentrate on Monaco to Cannes. Getting that "dream job" can take a few years so be prepared to take anything that comes your way. I think you will find it difficult if you only look at a team position with your partner. As I mentioned before get your AMSA STCW "certificate of safety training" and AMSA STCW medical(ENG1 equiv) before you come. I've seen many people come over without these and then have to spend time and money doing them when they could be fully focused on job hunting.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:46 PM
Im a male stew and left Australia 3 years ago, with a ten year hospitality background. after arriving in Antibes and meeting all the crew agents I had a job on a 65m MY within 3 days that was in mid March it was only a 7 month contract so after that I returned to Antibes in winter and patiently waited 6 weeks before getting a job on a 45m SY. I have not really met any other male stews although have heard they are out there. Be prepared to start at the bottom of the chain even with all your experience, it will not take long though to move into a chief stew role. I definately have a few favourite agents, I feel like some dont even consider you because you are male. Good luck
Daniel Page
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:30 PM

It's a bit of a relief to here from a working male stew and to hear that all is still going well, good on ya mate! Yeah I've have no quams at starting from the bottom and proving my worth. What are the crew agencies that you would reccomend for a male stew, if you don't mind me asking?
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:26 AM
YPI, Bluewater and Peter Insull all in Antibes have been the most helpful for me!
Daniel Page
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 2:32 AM

Thanks for that, I'll definitely be looking into it. All the advice so far has been great!
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 11:37 AM
I've no prejudice toward stewards, having said the ones I've worked with tend to be hysterical, cruel to the stewardesses and inconsistent. Me thinks there are many professional stewards and butlers but they are many more unprofessional ones. The same could be said for every position on yachts.
kristy
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 5:18 AM

Good Afternoon Daniel, I have worked with a male steward in the past.... I would like to see you register with Crew Pacific. Even though we are Cairns based, a lot of the positions available are overseas based.... We have approximetly 30 stewards registered with us.... Not sure if you would be interested in property managers positions but we have those from time to time as well. Kind Regards, Kristy Hennessy
Daniel Page
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:33 AM

Thanks Kristy I will be in touch! I'm very familiar with your company and some roles that come up via your website look outstanding! I'll send you an email in the next few days, thanks for your help!
casey Vail
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:20 PM

My name is Casey Vail, 

I am an enthusiastic, confident, quick and adaptable individual with a love for people, the sea, and travel. I am looking for a consistently challenging career that will enable me to serve and protect others. I am currently seeking a position as a full-time steward on a private or charter motor yacht. 

I am currently looking for work and would love to hear from others how I might obtain a position. I have registered with agencies and I dock walk 3 times a week. Am I missing anything?

Average 0 out of 5
]