Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
MCA and eye vision requirements
Eva
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:20 AM

I want to take my yachtmaster offshore to work on yachts, as a deckhand to start with. But do I have to have a commercially endorsed YM to be able to work at all?
My eye vision is pretty bad, it´s worse than 6/6 I think, so will I pass the MCA medical exam then?

Can I find work only with a RYA Yachtmaster?

If anyone know how the rules are, please let me know. Thanks!

Mr_Scott
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:32 PM

As far as eye vision goes, I would refer you to the thread here "Ask Dr.Ken" Otherwise I am sure others here will be more than happy to Inform you.

Good luck with your pursuits!

dawnkochan
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:56 AM

I just did my ENG1 and I was horrified that I almost failed the eye test. My vision is not too bad at -5. Dr. Prudhoe said I needed to be able to read the top l enter of the eye chart without corrective lenses. I couldn't do it but he passed me anyway because I am a chef and my bridge duties are not important, as he put it. Also I was informed that if I wanted to have laser surgery my ENG1 would be invalid for 6 months. So that puts me out of a job. Interesting as the laser company said I would be fit for duties in less than a week. Food for thought.

Average 0 out of 5
]