Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Crossing the Atlantic in September???
john
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 1:47 PM

How bad an idea is it? I am on a boat which plans to go across via the azores in early September. I wouldn't normally worry but I've been advised by a few people far more experienced than myself not to go! I really don't want to quit or let anybody down but it's hard to ignore considering there is a Hurricane currently over the Azores. Does anyone have any experience at this time of year? Am I panicking for nothing?
junior
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 2:46 PM

Difficult time of year. Ive made three Sept Oct North Atlantic crossing and each was rugged. The Atlantic will be full of tropical lows.. In 1996 on a trip from Newfoundland to the Netherlands we had to turn back for Hortence then got rolled by Isadore west of the Azores. If you must go ,consult with a professional weather router on a daily basis.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:08 AM
Crossing the Atlantic at anytime is a risk, just about anything can go wrong with the yacht and Mother Nature is a force which demands respect. I would say the biggest danger when crossing the Atlantic is human error. Sounds like you have zero experience and more likely to be the one who makes a mistake, I just hope you’re not a watch leader. Perhaps you can call the owner and say it’s too dangerous to cross the Atlantic now and all the boys at the Shamrock agree.
chrismlewis
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:41 AM

As with every other difficult situation in your yachting life, you have to have complete faith in your Captain's ability to make the call. If you do then button it and support him/her; if not then you should look for a position somewhere else - the fact that you have posted this at all speaks volumes...

Average 3.5 out of 5