Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
A Fourth of July Inspired by the Mediterranean
The Grateful Palate Provisions
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:13 PM

By Chef Hector Lopez, Director of Provisioning, The Grateful Palate Provisions  

Greetings to all. My name is Hector Lopez and I will be providing monthly ideas and culinary insights for those of you who, like me, make your living delighting others with great food. In Dockwalk’s newest bi-monthly feature, Ask the Chef, I’ll offer some “food for thought,” and hopefully you’ll come away with a few new ideas to serve your guests, at sea or on land. 

For our inaugural post, I’d like to share a red, white and blue idea to help you entertain American guests who are vacationing in the Mediterranean during the Fourth of July holiday.  Further down, I’ve included a “menu-must” for this very American holiday, the burger, dressed up with a hint of local, Mediterranean flavor. I hope you’ll try it!   

As Director of Provisioning and Executive Chef for The Grateful Palate Provisions and Restaurant, my career is based on hard work and a passion for gourmet cuisine.  Each day, my goal is to provide guests and clients with a delicious and unforgettable dining experience and serve as the most reliable, trustworthy source for yacht and estate provisioning.  

I was introduced to the culinary world at the age of 15 when I worked at a local cafe in my hometown of Buenos Aires, Argentina.  It was there I discovered my passion for pastry and desserts. After moving to the United States with my family, I began pursuing my culinary dream at the Art Institute of Ft. Lauderdale. Upon graduation, I secured the coveted opportunity to work at The Grateful Palate as an apprentice to some of the leading chefs in South Florida including Executive Chef, David Learmonth, a former yacht chef. Not long after, I was promoted to Sous Chef and then to Executive Chef where I express myself by creating inventive dishes, pastries and desserts. 

If you haven’t tried the restaurant yet, I hope you’ll think of us when you’re in the mood for a great meal, some small plates or a drink at our Wine & Liquor Bar. The restaurant is one of Fort Lauderdale’s most highly regarded dining experiences.  On the provisioning side, I personally work with yacht and estate chefs, assisting with menu development, custom orders and fresh ideas.  Give me a call; I’d enjoy meeting you and helping you plan some new menu items.  I know it can be a challenge to keep it interesting while entertaining the same people for weeks at a time.    

Wishing you a safe and happy Fourth of July!  Enjoy the Red, White & Blue Burgers!  

Red, White and Blue Waygu Burger  

Stilton blue cheese, sweet onion and tomato marmalade, crisp pancetta, brioche bun  

Below, I’ve included a few fun accompaniments to help complete the meal:  

Kick things off with an American Apple Pie Martini 

Add a Sparkling Watermelon Salad   

Baby arugula, crumbled goat cheese, champagne vinaigrette   

Finish things off with an Independence Day Summer Berry Parfait   

For questions, please email me at hlopez@thegratefulpalate.com. I’d love to hear from you.  For more information, please visit our website, thegratefulpalate.com. 

Average 0 out of 5
]