Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
American Visa for Antibes
Kalani
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 6:12 AM

Hello, 

I plan on traveling to Antibes in April, will I need to obtain any type of visa before I travel? 

Gabriel Poirier
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:01 PM

You plan to "travel" to Antibes. Will you be there to find work or to travel?

That will make a huge difference. Be honest. Like the U.S.A. , not America, because as you should know, America is not a country, the European countries need to find work for there citizens. If you are a U.S.A. citizen, I will strongly suggested that you find work in the U.S.A.. At this time, if the yacht travel to Europe, it will be legal for you to work aboard this yacht over there.

joe feder
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 10:49 PM

If you are over 18, there is no restriction to travel to France with a US passport. Should you be offered work ashore, you will have to go and apply for a carte de sejour, which theoretically will be granted since the government is only too happy to have yet another tax payer... Should you want to work on yachts, the flag of the yacht will be the element that defines the rules...most are mainly under british or of one of the British colonie's. flags, (.....) you will need a least a STCW95 cert. to apply
molinator
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 3:04 AM

Bienvenue a la France, Kalani !

Feel free to join our yachtie community page, Antibes Yacht Crew. You can catch us at

https://www.facebook.com/groups/antibesyachtcrew/ 

We are about 400 members in the group, many living locally in Antibes, and surely you will find some helpful advise, if you join us, whether it be about your visa, accommodation, finding a job etc.  We are all there to help each other ! 

Hope to see you as an active member on the board.

Bonne Chance - and enjoy Europe ! 

Lars,

Administrator, Antibes Yacht Crew 

le-capitaine
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 5:43 AM

Remember, US citizens are allowed 90 days in any Shengen country without applying for a long stay visa. France is a Shengen country. So, 90 days without a hassle - airlines check your ticket for a return date within 90 days. Otherwise, apply through a local French consulate for a long stay visa. Two types, 90-180 days or over 180 days. How do I know this? I own and operate a Dutch canal barge in France for six months each summer. Several years ago, I was 'caught' overstaying the 90 days and, fortunately, got away with a slap on the wrist and no fine or future travel restriction. So, pay attention and get good advice - probably from the French Consulate!

Average 2 out of 5
]