Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Got B1 B2 visa while applying for C1 D
sanusaati
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 8:59 PM

Hi Everey body

please help me by posting suitable answers for C1 D visa. in fact, i applied for C1 D visa but officer gave me B1 B2 visa. in this case i want to join my ship on 2016 so can i use my B1 B2 visa to meet my relatives for one montht in usa before 2016?

if i allowed to meet my relative under my B1 B2 visa then shall i need to explain all the above story to immigration officer in  usa airport?

Thanks

sanusaati

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, October 2, 2014 3:21 AM

Hi,

Your lucky they gave you a B1 B2! 

A C1D visa is multiple entry visa typically given to cruise ship employees and private flight attendants. It allows you to stay for a maximum of 1 month as typically these people do not stay longer than as their ship or plane will be leaving before the period of a month is up. It also stops employees jumping ship and staying longer in the USA.

A B1B2 visa is also a multiple entry visa however it allows a longer stay within the USA as it is NOT a work visa. The visa will allow you up to 6 months stay within the USA depending on your circumstances or date of your return ticket. This decision is made by the immigration officer upon arrival after he looks over your documents and asks a couple of questions. 

If you are travelling to visit friends or family just make sure you have a return ticket within the 6 month period,  an address where your staying, a reason for your visit, and maybe a bank statement showing sufficient funds for the period if it is over a few months and you will have no problem.

If you are entering for work on a yacht then make sure you have a return ticket AND a letter from your employer stating that your joining a foreign flagged vessel which will be leaving the USA on said date etc.

Basically you have to remember that the United States Immigration has already given you a visa so they are ok with you entering the country BUT it is the officer upon arrival which makes the decision of the length of stay based on your information and documents....you will be fine

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, October 2, 2014 2:09 PM

A b1 b2 visa is a business (b1) and tourist (b2) visa allowing you multiple entries to the us, you may require prof that you still qualify for this visa at customs (usual stuff) so asking as you have a letter from your captain stating you work on the boat and which at some point will be in American waters you will be fine, just don't forget to fill out the declaration when you leave (if you leave on the boat) this is very important as not to confuse there system and make them think you have over stayed. In answer to your question you are fine to travel on that visa now, as after all it is a business and tourist visa. Just make sure you have a letter from your captain with you just in case (it will make things easier if there is an issue)

jprmusicman
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 6:32 PM

I have a slight variation on this question. I have come to the us prior to joining my ship. I planned to, as I have done before, enter on my esta for business, then join the ship after ttraveling (for 7 weeks in this case). Unfortunately, when I arrived the cbp officer admitted me on C1 status and I this need to change it to B1 status. I presume that a quick trip to Mexico and back would allow my reentry and get the appropriate status. Does anyone have any insight into this? Do you think this will solve my status issue? I really appreciate any advice you may have. 

Thanks. James. 

Average 0 out of 5
]