Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Cold Brewed Coffee for Hot Summer Days
The Grateful Palate Provisions
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 4:10 PM

Cold brewed coffee is getting a lot of attention these days. When your guests need a pick me up, instead of icing down hot brewed coffee, give cold brewing a try. I have a feeling you’ll never go back. It’s more flavorful and has less acidity than its hot brewed counterpart. Unlike traditional iced coffee, which is brewed hot and poured over ice, cold brewed coffee is steeped at room temperature for about 24 hours, delivering a smooth, sweet flavor.

You can buy cold brew coffee in specialty shops for about $10 for an 8 oz. serving, but if you’re more of a DIY person, it’s quite easy to make yourself.

Here’s what you’ll need:
·  Two containers (each to hold at least one gallon of liquid)
·  One gallon filtered water
·  One pound coffee beans
·  Coffee grinder
·  A breathable cover for the container (such as cheesecloth)
·  Strainer  

Procedure
·  Finely grind one pound of coffee
·  Place the coffee in one of the glass containers
·  Add one gallon of room temperature filtered water
·  Let any grounds float to the top, then stir, so they sink back to the bottom
·  Cover the container with the cheesecloth (keeps out dust)
·  Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours
·  Line the strainer with cheesecloth or a coffee filter
·  Pour the coffee through the filter into the second clean glass container
·  Cover and refrigerate 

Drink up!
·  Serve over ice. Add cream or sugar to taste. Add cold, filtered water to adjust strength.  

Pro tip: Iced brewed coffee works great for adding flavor to cocktails and cooking.

If you have questions, please email me at provisions@thegratefulpalate.com. I’d love to hear from you.

For more information, visit our website, thegratefulpalate.com. Come visit us by land or by boat if we can assist you with your provisioning needs. We are conveniently situated on the east side of the Intracoastal Waterway just south of Oakland Park Boulevard at 3033 NE 32 Avenue in Fort Lauderdale. Our three complementary businesses share a 340-foot deep-water concrete dock offering shore power and water service. Call +1 954.566.2855 if you'd like more information.

Average 0 out of 5
]