Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
one way flicket question.
garciayounes
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 6:55 PM

Hi, I am thinking to go to the us, can I just book one way ticket , got B1b2 and seaman's book. But no job line up. Thanks for answers
John Doe
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 12:20 AM

a one way ticket will get you turned away at the airport. You will then have to buy a flight home without having had a chance. Buy the return, make it for 4-6 months or something. That way if you don't get a job you can always get home. If you get a job then great. You will need that return ticket (or one hell of a believable lie) to get in anyway. Good luck
Dean
Posted: Monday, June 4, 2012 7:54 PM

This is a silly question indeed. Why is the B1B2 issue so misunderstood?
rodsteel
Posted: Tuesday, June 5, 2012 5:15 AM

Dean wrote:
...Why is the B1B2 issue so misunderstood?

Because Congress never makes things simple when they have an option to make it complex instead ...

(and a separate transit visa for foreign-flagged yacht crew is too simple  - you all staffed up??)

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, June 5, 2012 6:28 AM
If people had a job one could say they are transiting yacht crew. But hanging your hat is someone else's country looking for work on boats, in shipyards and marinas while living ashore is what people are doing. A visa for want to be Yachties (foreigners) to look for work ain't going to happen. Americans looking for work are on the back foot in their own country.
rodsteel
Posted: Wednesday, June 6, 2012 12:05 AM

Anonymous wrote:
...Americans looking for work are on the back foot in their own country.

This is probably not the thread to start this discussion... But (imo)... this is another "unintended consequence" of Congress in its "infinite wisdom" (and that is why a well known mega-yacht had to get special dispensation to fly the American flag - fix that and one or two related issues and maybe the playing field would become a little more flat? ).

Morgan
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 1:21 PM

I am heading to Fort Lauderdale with a B1/B2 visa, letter of employment and the necessary qualifications. Will a one way ticket be acceptable in that scenario? I have 'enjoyed' the scrutiny of US customs before over non issues and I'm hoping to avoid CBP demanding a round trip when I shouldn't need one. Am I following the right course here?
jezza83
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:11 PM

I've done half a dozen trips on a one way ticket into the USA with various yacht employment papers. Never had any issues at all. Just mention in your travel letter that the boat will be heading back to the Med after the Carib/USA season, just so they know you're not going to be there forever.
Morgan
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2012 2:41 PM

Thanks for the advice Jezza.
Henning
Posted: Sunday, July 1, 2012 2:13 AM

I've never heard of the US requiring a ticket out (many countries do), however if you overstay your I-94 (the entry permit, this is NOT a visa) you become persona non grata for 10 years.

Average 0 out of 5
]