Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
B1/B2 visa with a "letter" from the captain
Saraboell
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:07 PM

Hi.
Henning
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:29 PM

No they won't find out, but it's not necessary either. You can go to the US embassy and tell them, "I work in the yacht industry and I need a B1/B2 Visa in order to apply for work since many of the boats come to the US". Simple as that to just be honest.

ratpack
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:36 PM

Check with YOUR local embassy. First B1B2 i was issued was stamped as 'onboard sailing yacht {yacht name}' so you might argue that is was no good on another boat of different name. Second was issued without reference to any specific boat. There was reference on the UK embassy website in November last year that stated any B1B2 yacht applicants must bring with them a letter stating employment. But here's my logic - the B1 allows you to continue your work for a non US company while in the US (in our cases, foreign flagged boats)- so if you approached the visa office asking for a B1 but without employment, they would ask why you wanted/needed a working visa if you don't have a job! The best advice I can give you is do not lie - get caught, and face a 10 year ban from applying again. Ask your local visa office, the one where you intend to apply, get their interpretation of their rules. There are even fraud warnings posted on their websites about so called visa assistance companies
I Spy.
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 6:45 PM

Nigel B. [Content edited by moderator] You get caught telling a lie you you'll be on the bottom of the pile forever.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 7:02 PM
Wow Henning, [content edited by moderator], B1/B2 is not a work visa, mention work whether yachting or not, your done! Yachties have no special privliges. And as for you girl, [content edited] You get caught, you will never see the U.S until your old and grey. [content edited by moderator]
rodsteel
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 10:17 PM

Anonymous wrote:
Wow Henning, [content edited by moderator], B1/B2 is not a work visa, mention work whether yachting or not, your done! Yachties have no special privliges. And as for you girl, [content edited] You get caught, you will never see the U.S until your old and grey. [content edited by moderator]

Anonymous Posted: 13 July 2012 19:02

Anon,

Where does Henning call the B1/B2 a work visa?

As you should know and I understand, the B1 is an Entry Visa for employees (i.e., "workers") of foreign corporations which allows them to temporarily participate in corporate activity on US soil or in US waters (under specific conditions). This B1 entry permission is usually granted to legitimate crew of Foreign Flagged vessels which have received proper authorization to cruise in US waters. Thus Henning is correct when he suggests that the OP state the need for a B1 visa based on the "standard" requirements for non-US citizen crew in the yachting industry (specifically the requirement for job applicants to be in possession of a valid US B1/B2 Visa that is stated in most employment advertisements for crew on Foreign Flagged yachts that intend or may intend to cruise US waters after a candidate is hired).

Luckily FUD only works when left "uncorrected"

Cheers,

Rod

Average 0 out of 5
]