Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Forum


In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
B2 before joining the ship, how to activate C1/D
Posted: Friday, December 7, 2012 1:00 PM
Joined: 07/12/2012
Posts: 1


I have a valid B2 and a valid C1/D VISA in my passport, also I do have the letter of employment and everything what I need to work on the ship.

I am going to US for vacation over christmas. I plan to enter the US with my B2 as a tourist.

After that I have planned a cruise to Jamaica, Nassau and other islands over new year as a guest - not as an employee. I am paying for the cruise and its just a regular vacation.

When I come back to the port I wanna enter the US again - this time with my C1/D. I plan to join a different ship as an employee one day after my vacation cruise is over. Is it possible to enter then with C1/D or are there any problem with changing the status of the immigration?

Or is there a different way to change the status from B2 to C1/D when you enter the US with a B2 without leaving the country?

Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 12:32 AM
Joined: 09/10/2008
Posts: 134

My understanding is that you cannot change status if you enter on a B2.Unlike with the B1 where you can change status. I do not know for sure if you can use the C1/D when you enter on the cruise ship, but that is your best bet. When you come into the US on your holiday, go see the officers at CBP and ask them - better that than getting it wrong and being deported...
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:18 AM
Joined: 25/11/2012
Posts: 21

C1/D is a seaman's visa. You would need to enter the US on the cruise ship as a crew member. Just return from vacation on your B2, then leave on the new ship, and return on your C1/D as a seaman. You will get a new I-94 upon arrival.
Soaking wet
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 1:24 PM
Joined: 19/01/2011
Posts: 68

Thank god America is the only place in the world you need a tourist visa and work visa for. It seems everyone wants their piece of apple pie, but end up eating humble pie when they realize its not a right to visit America but a privilege. Why is the American visa issue so misunderstood?
 Average 0 out of 5