Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Forum


In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Shengan and american visas question.
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 5:54 AM
Joined: 18/08/2011
Posts: 22

Everybody keeps talking about b1b2 visas. I am from Australia and wikipedia says I am eligible for visa exempt entry. Should I do that or would I need to get a b1 or b2? Purpose of trip would be looking for work aboard a yacht.
Same question for france.... can i just walk in and get this schengan visa or whats the deal with that? 

Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 12:56 AM
Joined: 27/10/2014
Posts: 7

It's not that simple as to just get a visa:

For the US: If you wish to work for a PRIVATE foreign-flagged yacht, you will need a B1 visa. Is the yacht commercial, you will ned a D (crew member-)visa. Because of the Jones Act, you will not be able to work on any US registered vessel. You can, of cause, travel to the US to look for work without any visa but should you find work, you would then have to leave the country and start the application process, which can take quite some time, before joining the vessel as paid crew.

For Europe: If the vessel is non- european flagged and will not spend more than 90 days in the Schengen area, you do not need the Schengen Visa. If the vessel is European flagged, you might as well forget about it since you would need a work visa from the flag state, which is almost impossible to get for yacht crews.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 1:20 AM
Don't get the 'D' visa, they are for cruise ship crew, and a commercial yacht can't charter in the US or in US waters anyway... B1 (or the combo B1/B2 is what you would need for a yacht, that "is temporarily cruising in US waters").  As for the Med, on an Aussie passport you are fine, you don't need a Schengen visa. As for getting the B1 visa without a job, it can be done (I did 8-9 years ago) but the haters will say it can't... if you do it back here in Sydney it is much easier... good luck
 Average 3.5 out of 5