Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
The Simple Truth about Truffles
The Grateful Palate Provisions
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 5:25 PM

Once seen as a rare delicacy, truffles have shifted into the culinary spotlight. Valued for their earthy flavor and aroma, these mysterious fungi have become more familiar and highly desired by foodies everywhere. What’s great about cooking with truffles is that they can be paired beautifully with many things, but only if the chef understands the subtleties of this prized ingredient. It’s time to lift the veil of mystery and get better acquainted with truffles by understanding the three qualities that make them so amazing.    

Elusiveness. Truffles have an exotic story to tell. They are underground mushrooms requiring the perfect combination of earth, climate and host, which usually is a nearby tree. They have been prized throughout history and were even thought to have magical powers. Truffle harvesters use dogs or pigs to sniff the ground in search of truffles, adding to the intrigue that surrounds them and making them expensive to buy.  

Variety. Truffles are divided into summer and winter, black and white. Careful thought should go into determining the kind of gourmet truffle you have and how best to use it. French black truffles and the Italian white truffles are among the most popular. You can purchase fresh truffles or preserved truffles; fresh truffles are best used the same day, and preserved truffles should be consumed within several days of opening them. It’s no surprise that preserved truffles don’t have quite the same flavor or aroma as fresh ones. 

Less is more. When it comes to using truffles, a small amount will do. Prized for their intense taste and aroma, truffles should be treated delicately and used simply and sparingly with mild food that won’t overpower them. They pair perfectly with pasta, potatoes, vegetables and even egg omelets. They tend to infuse everything around them with their sublime flavor and aroma and work perfectly with fatty foods such as foie gras, butter, cheese and cream. Truffle oils have become a popular way to infuse food with truffle flavor.  

For those of you lucky enough to be cooking with truffles, remember that success need not be complicated. Understanding a few basic things about truffles and then keeping it simple can transform a meal from ordinary to outstanding.  

If you have questions, please email me at provisions@thegratefulpalate.com. We are situated on the east side of the Intracoastal Waterway just south of Oakland Park Boulevard at 3033 NE 32 Avenue in Fort Lauderdale. Our three complementary businesses, Grateful Palate Provisions, Events by Grateful Palate and Shooters Waterfront, share a 340-foot deep-water concrete dock offering shore power and water service. Call +1 954.566.2855 for more information.  

pkuchuki
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2015 11:25 AM

What about the red truffles from Morocco.  How do they differ?  I've seen them but never tasted them.
The Grateful Palate Provisions
Posted: Thursday, October 1, 2015 5:17 PM

Thanks for your inquiry, pkuchuki.  I haven’t had experience using red truffles yet.  I do know that there are several different types of red truffles and after receiving your inquiry I looked into them a bit further.  Red truffles include the cinnamon truffle, shiny truffle and the pecan truffle.   

You are likely referring to either the cinnamon (named for its color, not flavor) or the shiny truffle, which are both seen throughout Europe.  The pecan truffle (because it commonly grows near pecan trees) is found throughout northeastern and southeastern parts of North America in to Texas, including parts of Canada and Mexico.

If you ever decide to experiment with these I hope you’ll share some pictures with me.

Average 1 out of 5
]