Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Fires
echo5000
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2016 3:15 PM

What is the deal with all of the fires aboard these yachts? Every time I open Dockwalk, a new fire has engulfed a yacht.
Bob Terrell
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2016 11:47 PM

I was wondering why so many fires also, There are numerous ways fire can start aboard a yacht. I suspect electrical problems to be #1, However they tend to produce a readily detectable odor, and in most cases, if manned, extinguished by experienced crew or engineer, before the yacht goes up in smoke. I have experienced this twice.

Hydraulics are second in my experience, this fluid (oil) is very light and flammable when overheated or sprays on a very hot piece of machinery. This in most cases is also detected, if manned, and extinguished by experienced crew or engineer.

Yachts usually have permanent engine room extinguishing systems, as well as very audible alarm systems, if manned, the experienced crew will spring into action, and extinguish a fire, upon any of this alarm system showing activity.  

Anyone notice where I'm going with this...now to other areas of thought

Lack of maintenance, faulty fire extinguishing system, vessel crew absent or vessel not manned, Lightening strike, failure to turn a system off that overheated,  crew member leaving an iron on.
Well there are other ways also, so enough for now...

SpannerMonkey
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2016 8:47 PM

Engine room faulty equipment, inadequate maintenance, laundry ducting not cleaned, galley fires due to flashing off oil, electrical arcing, earth faults, human error, high exhaust temp uptake fires, improperly stored chemicals/fuel, dropping cigarettes. In that order. Train your crew

Average 0 out of 5
]