Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Steward Who Doesn't Wear Makeup? Issue Or Not?
AwesomeTori
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2016 4:54 AM

Hello everybody! 

For starters, I am insanely new to yachting. I worked on a small cruise ship, that was just almost a commercialized yacht. Especially with the clientelle we had. I have worn makeup three times in my life. And, I'm worried that's going to become an issue when I go to Florida in September to begin pursuing becoming a yachtie.

I have never received a complaint on my looks, in any profession about my makeup. Hair is a different story, but I'm using the time from now until September to practice that actually. I have not been very good at the girly things growing up. If it's something that enough people think is a deal breaker, I can easily begin teaching myself makeup as well. But, I just wanted thoughts from some folks here, since a Captain I came across actually highly suggested me using this site as  a resource since I am new to the industry.

Any and all advice is appreciated, thank you so much for your time!

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 8:38 PM
I think it will really depend on the boat. I worked on yachts for 6 years and was never told to wear make up. However,on one boat it was hinted to me to tone it down as the "Mrs." of the yacht would see it as competition! At times the duties of a stewardess can be very un-glamorous and repetitive so I found I always felt a bit better if I did at least have a bit of make up on or my hair looked nice. Good luck with it all.I'm sure you'll love being a yachtie,it's a great lifestyle!!
Alis0Nadams
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 3:50 AM

I agree that it will likely depend on the boat. Personally, I have not worn makeup in years and was concerned about the same thing. My suggestion would be to not wear any make up in your CV photo and don't wear any to interviews. Show who you are and let them hire you for your skills, then if they ask you wear makeup while guests are on board, tackle the issue then. If nothing else, the boat should pay for your makeup if they require you to wear it.

Average 0 out of 5