Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Advice for ex-Royal Navy Engineer
Chris_yg
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 10:58 PM

Hi Folks,

I've done a fair bit of research but would like to ask for any general comments or advice on getting started as a Yacht Engineer.

I'm 39 years old, engineering degree, 3 years in the Royal Navy followed by 12 in the oil & gas industry.

I have completed all of the STCW Safety & Technical training requirements for Y4 Chief Engineer. My Letter of Assessment from the MCA requires 12 months yacht service with 7 months at sea for Y3 Chief eligibility or 6 months yacht service with 4 months at sea for Y4 Chief eligibility.

During my time in the Royal Navy I completed the 17 week Marine Engineering Initial Career Course, was awarded the Royal Navy Marine Engineering Mechanics Operating Certificate, and gained an National Vocational Qualification Level 2 in Engineering Maintenance.

My plan at the moment is to head to Antibes at the end of March visit the agents and I guess do the Dockwalk.

Your insights would be much appreciated.

Regards

Chris

Koru International
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 10:03 PM

Hi Chris, Welcome to yachting. I am a Captain (3000 ITC) and have been in yachting for 15+ years. I have written and implemented a course called C2Y (commercial to yachting). It is a three day course which drastically reduces your learning curve. Let me know if you are interested. It touches on all of the things that help ease the shift. Whether coming from military, commercial, or just simply wanting to understand the basics, it will be a huge asset to your career in yachting. Feel free to send me an email to find out more. KoruintL@aol.com Thanks and good luck!
Robertmech
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 11:40 PM

Dear Chris,

Dear Chris,                

My advice would be to stick with commercial qualifications which are recognised in Yachting

as well as commercial shipping, the yachting industry is now talking about going more toward commercial

type qualifications in the near future.

It would seem with your degree and commercial experience that they are starting you very low on the ladder and are asking for a lot of seatime to step up to the next level.

I  am a Y3 engineer and have worked in the yachting industry for 15 years, yachting tickets mean nothing in the

commercial shipping world, I would not go down that path if you have a choice.

You may want to look at marine colledges and commercial qualifications in New Zealand, they seem to fast

track things there in terms of qualifications, it may be a good option for you.

If you have electrical and IT/AV knowledge that may also be a better route for you as the demand for ETO,s

is even stronger than that for engineers.

Regards Robert.          Good luck.

Average 0 out of 5
]