Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Siblings onboard
jakedisey
Posted: Friday, March 3, 2017 5:47 PM

so I just read the recent post about couples landing a position onboard. I see it's not easy but not impossible and I was wondering if the same holds true for siblings. Are yachts not inclined to accept teams, a package deal, or do they like teams but it's just dependent on the relationship? I'm in between boats as a deckhand and my sister is trying to get her first yachting job. I thought it would be helpful if we got job on the same boat so I can help her transition and we wouldn't be as lonely being away from family. Any siblings on the same yacht out there?
Henning_1
Posted: Friday, March 3, 2017 9:14 PM

You'll find mixed results depending on the paranoia level onboard, especially the owner and department heads. For sure you will find opportunities out there where people will be great with it because most likely you'll look out for each other's safety and you already know how to deal with each other.

The negative is always the security risk you pose, and as siblings it's double that of a couple. A lot of owners are 'high value' and they made enemies getting rich, so they are pretty security conscious, many of them to the point of paranoia. 

Then there is the department head (if you are not they) worried that you're bringing them into your job intending to take their's.

-chase-
Posted: Friday, March 3, 2017 10:01 PM

I really don't have a clue what the last poster was referring to in most of the post.

I've seen the "couple's" post. Though I don't think I weighed in on it. Maybe I did.

If that's what you came away from that post thinking, then the thread is misleading.

It's not difficult for couple's to find work on a vessel. Any more than it would be you, to find work with your sister. 

Actually, it might be easier you and your sister come to think of it.

Ifa vessel is looking for a couple it's not easy for a single person to get the same position... Make sense?

There have been seasons where couple's are high in demand. Or you'll see a lot of couple working together. In part, because there are more couple's in the industry. More vessels working looking for couple's... And so on.

The boat must be open to couple's...  That's it. Period. After that... It's up to the couple to prove their worth. The only difficulty is poised when one has less skills then the couple's position calls for. One might prevent the two from being hired.

The pro and cons of employing couple's... That's a roller coaster ride I won't get into.

I've seen many many couples employed over the years. I've seen the good, the bad and yes, the ugly of it too.

What you are presenting with your sister is to me..  the same as trying to get on board with a best friend...

It's it possible? Of course...!

Difficult..  no!

You two have to get along just like any other crew with each other as crew and with fellow crew.

Both must fit the requirements of the positions. Just like two friends trying to get on the same vessel.

Go out there, find a vessel..  intro your sister to the crew and captain several times while working on there. Hopefully they'll like her. Call her in for day work if the opportunity presents itself.

When a position opens up..  recommend your sister. 

You're doing a good thing... 

All the best to both of you.

CaptErik
Posted: Friday, March 3, 2017 10:22 PM

No idea what Henning is smoking with his reply, but my guess is that in most cases it would be better to hire siblings than a couple. One of the reasons I usually do not like to hire couples is that when the inevitable breakup happens you lose one if not both crew members, same reason for not allowing crew to date each other. As a couple of family members, that should not be the case. The one downside is that some boats hire couples so they can share the same space, as in bunk or room, and not knowing if you are from west Virginia or not, this may be a problem.
www.marinepro.co.uk
Posted: Saturday, March 4, 2017 12:39 PM

My bitter experience with a couple was having them blackmailing owner for a salary raise giving an ultimatum few days short notice "agree or we both leave" just before a boat show. Imagine it considering those were Chef & Chief Stew at the door. After this case I decided to spare such or similar disappointments in future and so added "no couples" condition to my hiring criteria from then on. Theoretically when one from a couple happens to have decided he/she wants to leave (or he/she must leave) - you most probably lose the other along as joining out her/his beloved for seeking their next chance working together elsewhere. No more.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 4, 2017 5:37 PM
Worked with my brother for nine years. It was the best working environment I could have hoped for. If you have a good relationship with your sibling and you work well together, wait for the right job. It was worth it for me.
Gunners
Posted: Saturday, March 4, 2017 5:51 PM

Hey, it worked on Below Deck.
Biscayforce12
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 1:31 PM

I have twin boys, one of whom got a beckies job on a 220ft motor yacht. He held that possision for three seasons. At the start of the third season one of the other deckies severely blotted his copy book and left. My twin was asked if he could work with his brother and, if so, was he available.

Upshot was that they worked together for the rest of the season without a problem with them being asked to come back the following year if they were available.

So, yes, siblings can get jobs but it will depend upon their ability to get on with each other. One blotting the copy book of the other is always a possibility so personal reputations could be put at risk if there is any sort of fall-out with each other or with the rest of the crew. 

It will be on the head of the recruiting officer to make the choice but it's definately worth giving it a go.

Average 0 out of 5