Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Should I even bother coming to Florida in May?
AwesomeTori
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 3:27 PM

Hey all! I've been trying to potentially get into the yachting world for awhile now, but I'm honestly extremely intimidated. I have no server experience outside of my two small contacts aboard small cruise liners (one that was 3 months, the next 4 months. Both of them serving almost every single day). I feel like I could handle working on a yacht. The long hours and the duties, the sea sickness (I've only gotten sea sick like once, and it wasn't even bad. I feel like I kind of have a natural sea leg), and everything included with working on a yacht. I feel like I could honestly excel at. I'm passionate about the industry, and there's nothing else I would rather do. 

However, getting someone to believe me and hire me seems like an incredible feat. I have to wait to get a certain type of contact so that I qualify for my ENG1, so I can't get to Ft. Lauderdale until May. I'm worried that since it's near the end of the high season, it's not even worth going. And maybe I should save up and wait until November.

I'm also worried about funds. After my ENG1. I will have $773 in pocket to live off of until I find a job. I am looking for a Junior Stewardess position, and have been told numerous times that it is extremely difficult to land that position on a yacht. Which makes sense, because it's probably the easiest thing to find. Supply and Demand and all that Jazz. 

I only know of Neptune Crew House, and their rates are around $220 a week. I'm also concerned they may not even have room for me, for they don't let you reserve ahead of time. Is there a crew house that lets me reserve ahead of time, so I'm guaranteed a place to stay? 

Should I just stay home and work and wait until November? I could easily get a serving job here, and that could improve my set of skills to make more valuable to a yacht. I could also spend time in a bartending class, and learning Spanish, both of which would make me more valuable. Would it be worth it to stay at home, and hone those skills? Or should I just risk getting my feet wet and go to Ft. Lauderdale in May?

I've done gypsy moves in the past, leaving without enough funds, and without a backup plan, and I've ended up homeless in the past because of it. I really don't feel like doing those gypsy moves anymore. Therefore, I've come to you guys. I'm kind of frozen with indecision here, and I'm hoping I can get advice from those in the industry about the best way to approach this. 

Thank you for your time.
le-capitaine
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:51 PM

Head for Newport, RI in May. Start checking with crew agencies before that - many of them have summer offices in Newport. Good luck.

Average 0 out of 5
]