Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Another newbie needing advice
Scot McDonald
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 1:55 PM

Hi there, i'm also someone in their mid 30s with no experience looking for advice on how to get started in the industry as a deckhand. I have my STCW95, (including Security Awareness), my ENG1 and can leave almost immediately if required to. I've seen similar posts and found the advice about dock walking and CVs etc really helpful and hopeful. I was wondering if it is advisable to go for other courses without actually having a job? Also, how important is it to have a B1/B2 visa, as i have read many job descriptions that ask for this? 

Thanks in advance, any advice or tips that anyone can share would be greatly appreciated. Scot

Numpty Sailor
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 4:08 PM

Its 'chicken and egg'.

Go get a job on a small boat for the summer and get some sea time and experience under your belt as it will be hard, if not impossible, to get on a big boat with no experience. It's just too much of a risk for anyone to take and you will be liability in every sense of the word.

Then work hard, keep your nose clean and your head down and it will all come together as if by magic. People like hard working folk with a GSOH and a smile on their face.

Forget the B1/B2 for now as it's hard to get unless you have the offer of a job and the backing of the Master. You won't get either until you achieve the paragraph above.

Don't despair - there are many of us who prefer to employ people with life experience.

Good luck.

info@shiptoshoreglobal.com
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 5:03 PM

Hi,

We have seen a problem of how to get new people into the Superyacht industry.We are so short of day workers and entry level crew in Newport RI we are running a FREE Crew Training Program, funded by the Rhode Island Marine Trades Assoc.

4 days of training in all. 2 days of professional Q tip cleaning inside and out. One day of introduction to Seasmanship and Navigation and one day with a Chief Stewardess on the interior work. Then introductions and placements to the yachts for day work. 

Starts May 30th if anyone in Rhode Island (US only) would like to apply to brian@rimta.org or call sarah at Ship to Shore Crew Placement 401 846 3816.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 5:24 PM

No more courses, unless you have lots of money to burn. Don't bother trying to get B1/B2 before you land a job -  then if its needed the Captain will give the appropriate paperwork for the application. 

Have you been on a boat? Done any sailing etc? If you have any water sports background involving driving boats then that would be beneficial. 

I agree with Numpty Sailor, you're better off doing some small boat work experience for a season before turning to the big boats. 

Chef Peter_1
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2017 3:50 PM

Its what you know and who you know.  First thing is to have a great CV you can send me your cv to procvwriter1@yahoo.com for a free assessment.  Second, all courses, eng 1, pic, etc. need to be in play.  Then I will guide you exactly where you need to go and who to see.  Looking forward to assisting you succeed.
MMBanks
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 5:49 PM

I haven't seen anyone ask, but are you a US Citizen or foreign?  Since you mentioned the B1/B2, everyone is assuming you are not US, but I've had US crew ask me about B1B2 because they see it and don't know what it is, so thought I'd just check.  I actually work in crew placement. Daywork is where you'll get most of your maintenance skills and contacts.  Training-wise, however, I do believe getting your Power Boat Level 2 is helpful.  As was mentioned, newbies have GOT TO get a great CV and professional headshot, especially mature newbies.  I know what I'm talking about, as I came into this industry after a corporate career. The most important thing I did was to get a wonderful professional headshot and a CV that stressed my relevant skills. Good luck!
Scot McDonald
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 5:17 PM

Hi again, thanks for all the tips and advice. I'm from the UK which is why I was asking about visas etc I'll keep soldiering on and hopefully get some experience wherever i can. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Average 4 out of 5