Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Forum


In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
US flag + US water (temporary) + EU Captain
Posted: Saturday, July 1, 2017 4:10 PM
Joined: 30/06/2017
Posts: 3

Hi to all,

I want to ask for by the opposite side of the question: how to do ?

Scenario is:

  • US Flag Sailboat 55ft
  • Currently NOT in US water
  • Delaware registry
  • Owned by US LLC Company
  • EU citizen temporary Captain contractor
  • Captain have B1/B2
The boat will spend about 4 coming months in US water 


How the EU Captain can works and get pay legally for about 4 months in US water ?

The solution must exist: starting a company by the captain, get pay from NON us Company/Private, subcontract from a NON US company .... something must be exists
Many thanks

Numpty Sailor
Posted: Tuesday, July 4, 2017 6:18 PM
Joined: 06/08/2014
Posts: 23

A non US crew member, or a foreigner without a US work permit cannot work on a US flag boat. Simple.
Tom Summers
Posted: Tuesday, July 4, 2017 7:37 PM
Joined: 16/11/2009
Posts: 4

Posted: Wednesday, July 5, 2017 9:14 PM
Joined: 30/06/2017
Posts: 3

Not True. A non US crew can work on US Flag and can work ONLY on that specifically boat. Immigration said.
Posted: Thursday, July 6, 2017 3:45 PM

Only with the right documents. You need a green card in order to legal work in the U.S.

Even a C1/D is for short term visits maximum 29 days and then you must leave. It is from shipping vessels and cruise ships and the time limitation does not work for yacht that plan to be in US waters more than that.

Call a crew agent and ask. Call MPT Or Bluewater. When you called immigration, what did you tell them and what did they tell you? I am sure they did not just say sure you can work on a US flag vessel in US waters no problem nothing needed as a foreigner.

Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 11:54 PM
Joined: 30/06/2017
Posts: 3

If I sail for free, B1/B2 are enough and ok to sail in US water om US vessel ?

Ken Bracewell
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 11:49 PM
Joined: 21/05/2008
Posts: 5

CCCapt wrote:
If I sail for free, B1/B2 are enough and ok to sail in US water om US vessel ?

You would be walking a very fine line (of which you are on the wrong side), subjecting you and the vessel owner up to loads of potential trouble. Surely there must be another job out there for you, and another captain for that job.
 Average 2 out of 5