Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Forum


In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Advice needed for a b1b2 visa!!!???
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 9:37 PM
Joined: 17/01/2018
Posts: 2

Im due to start a job on a yacht which is in California only if I can get a b1 b2 visa. I plan to go to the US embassy in London. I am a little confused on what to say, should I tell them that I will be employed by the yacht and getting paid? It's private and plans to leave the US after a month or so. I have good ties to home with a mortgage etc.

Should I be able to get a visa without any issues? 


Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 7:34 PM
Former crew agent here...Seen many people get turned away even with the right paperwork. There is lots of good resources on what to say and what not to say. This is essential reading IMHO: 


I would also suggest compiling a list of assets if any that you have, including proof of bank account, funds, your mortgage, etc. 


Your Captain has surely given you a visa letter and supporting documentation like an itinerary, crew list with your name on it and copies of the registration. Even if the boat is private if they find it on (even though it will say 'not for charter' in small text) often they will deny the visa just because the boat is listed there. 


Good luck!  

Posted: Tuesday, October 2, 2018 11:26 AM

This may be to late, but just in case it helps others.

I have recently renewed a B1B2 in Madrid, flying in from Palma. Whilst doing so read lots of posts on forums and FB groups. It seems that there are many crew being refused visas in London, even though the advise is to apply in your home county. Spain and Italy seem better options.

I agree with the last post. You are working on a foreign flagged, private boat, that visits the US. The visa that the local customs agents like to see and are happy with is the B1B2 ( not the C1D) Any history of charter on the boat will count against you. Letter from Captain and boat papers are great to have.

Good Luck

Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 6:16 AM


I saw you need some advice for your B1B2.if so please e-mail me back privately and Will Tell you all .

Kind regards

 Average 0 out of 5